Chapter 37

I feel him tense under my touch and I hear the low growl that leaves his chest. I shrank back a little, pulling my arms back to show him my phone. His eyes looked darkened. Half him, half... not. It was like he was fighting off his wolf. "Cole," I say softly, tilting my head a little to make him look at me. He looks at me again, and then looks down at my phone infront of him.

He looks over at Dawson next. "D, the smell, track it," he says directly. Dawson nods, glancing at me before running off. He shifts midstep which makes Axel blink and shake his head.

"Yeah, not used to that," he says quietly. Cole had yet to let go of me and Maggie ran over.

"Tom?" She questions. I swallow and look at her before nodding. I go to put my phone in my pocket but Aiden walks over and snatches it. He looked tense. Same. My hands wanted to do something so I brought them forward to play with the fabric at the bottom of Cole's shirt.

I didn't want him to let go of me and I didn't think he was going to in the moment. Axel cleared his throat.

"Sorry, uh, what?" I remember that Axel was the only one not there during the phone call. But Abel told him about it. Abel.

I look over my shoulder at him to see him glaring at the ground, something running through his head. Marie and Oscar come back outside, looking thoroughly confused. I just watched Abel, hopting he wouldn't run off.

"The same man from earlier, honey," Maggie expains much more sweetly than the situation deserved. Now Axel looked pissed too and walked over to Aiden.

"What'd he say?" He asks, trying to grab the phone from our oldest brother but Aiden just puts a hand on his shoulder to keep him at bay.

"He sees her," Aiden says plainly. I swallow and look down.

"Well, we don't know if he's just messing with her, right?" Axel asks, looking more hopeful about his idea but still clearly nervous.

"He's a wolf, Axel," Aiden says.

"Cole?" Oscar says, coming up to his son and, since I'm right here, me. He puts a hand on Cole's shoulder and opens his mouth to say something but Cole beats him to it.

"I already sent Dawson to track it," he says. I just look up at Cole, he was lost in thought, glaring at nothing like Abel.

"That's not what I was going to say," Oscar says. Cole looks over his shoulder at his dad. "Let them go home, we'll send a patrol. He'll be caught by morning if he was stupid enough to come here." I feel Cole's grip on me tighten and I look down at my hand still at to his shirt.

"She-" Aiden cuts him off now.

"Cole. She'll be just fine," he says. I was a little nervous when Cole's glare turned on my brother. I don't let go of him either. Aiden sighs and nods towards the car, looking at the boys. Abel rolls his eyes but the boys go back to the car. Not that that offers much privacy, but Maggie goes back to her car as well. Marie gives me a small smile before going inside with Oscar.

"I don't like that you're just leaving right now," he says, still not looking at me and shaking his head. I press my lips together, not knowing what to say. So I don't say anything. I reach up again and wrap my arms around his neck. He sighs and turns his head into my neck. He takes a deep breath like he's trying to calm himself. I press my lips to his shoulder, and I feel him press his to my hair by my ear. "I'll come by later," he whispers.

I turn my head a little to look at him and sink back a little. I was confused and I'm sure it showed. "I don't care what Aiden and my dad say I'll feel better if I'm the one with you," he says, giving me a pointed look. I glance behind him, scared his dad might hear him.