Chapter 49

I wake up to the sound of beeping. I can feel fabric under my hands. I can feel weight on my leg. When I open my eyes, I'm in a bright room. It only takes me a few seconds to recognize it as a hospital room. A hospital room empty except for me and the boy sleeping with his head on my leg.

I move my hand, and nudge his shoulder. He jumps instantly, looking at me, with a slightly panicked look in his eyes. Then he notices that I'm just awake and moves to sit next to me on the bed.

"Shit, Addie you scared the shit out of me," Cole says softly and wraps his arms around me. I chuckle a little and hold onto his arms.

"Sorry," I say.

"Not just now. You remember what happened, right?" He asks. I take a deep breath and nod.

"Up until the passing out part."

"You killed him," he says. "We got there right when the shot went off." I stop breathing for a second.

"I..."

"Yeah. You." He kisses my hair and then lets go and moves to look at me. He still sits on the bed, just facing the other way.

"Is everyone...?" I'm scared to finish the question.

"Abel's good. So are the other guys. Your mom's in a recovery room with them now. Taylor woke up yesterday and talked to the cops. We told them he came after you in the woods and had your mom hostage. Said the gun was his, but we made sure they shouldn't ask you any questions," he explains. I nod, letting out a breath.

"How long was I out?"

"Almost a whole day." He checks his watch and scratches his neck. "It's about five now."

"In the morning?"

"Yeah, why?"

"I don't know, I just... I didn't think it'd been that long," I say and look down at my hands. Cole grabs them and brings them up to his mouth. He kisses my hands and holds them there for a moment. I smile a little at him. "It all happened on a Tuesday." He laughs at my sudden statement. Then he nods and shrugs.

"Well, it's how things worked out," he says. I smile at him.

"So... it's over? Like, actually?" Cole smiles at me and leans forward. He puts a hand on my cheek and kisses me softly. Then he pulls away a little.

"Everything with Tom is done. You and Taylor will heal. We'll talk to Kayla in a few days. In about a week, your birthday. A couple weeks after that, graduation. And after that, you become my Luna." I stare at him as he lists the plan for the upcoming weeks.

"That sounds exhausting." He smiles at me and gives me a pointed look.

"That's probably just the pain meds," he tells me. I roll my eyes as he glances down at my ribs. I put a hand on his cheek and kiss him quickly.

"I'm gonna be alright." He nods and kisses me again. Then the door opens.

"Hey!" Axel yells. Cole pulls away, rolling his eyes. I smile a little wider and sit up a little straighter as my brothers walk in. Axel shakes his head at Cole, and wags a finger at him. "Not around me!"

"You weren't even in the room, Axel. You barged in," Cole says. Axel points at him and walks up to him.

"Then not with any of us in the building. It's disrespectful," Axel says.

Imagine if he found out about the office, I think. But apparently it sneaks through to Cole because he smirks at me.

"What?" Axel asks. "Never mind, I don't want to know. Addie!" He suddenly exclaims my name and grins, rounding the other side of the bed. He wraps me in his arms quickly.