Chapter 4

"Maggie, please adopt me," I say it and she laughs.

"You've said that scentence for fourteen years, you'll live for a few months. And besides, you're already adopted. By your brother," she says. I roll my eyes and flop on the chair on my balcony. That feels so insane to even think. But there was a dark green chair, with a small table beside it. There was also a white bench, which resembles the one at the end of my bed. Sorry, I know I forgot to mention that.

"But, can't I say like two words and go to you?" I ask. She chuckles.

"Not unless you want them to get arrested."

"Well, I haven't even met my gaurdian yet, so I don't have a reason to feel anything towards him!"

"One, he's your brother! And two, how come you haven't met him yet?" She asks. I shrug, even though I know she can't see me.

"I don't know. Maybe he's at work or something. But, you were right about the Abel one. I haven't actually met him, but he's already bad. He came home hammered a few minutes ago."

I glance through the doors to look into my room, to make sure no one is listening.

"Oh, he's just a teenager, I'm sure that won't happen all the time," she says.

"Apparently not, according to none other than his twin," I say.

"Yes! Axel, he was the one that helped me the most when organizing your room," she tells me. I chuckle and nod.

"Why am I not surprised?" I ask.

"Alright, enough. Give them a chance. Have you had dinner yet?" She asks, changing the subject. I roll my eyes.

"Not yet. It's probably done by now though," I tell her.

"Alright, I'll let you go. Go eat, alright?" She says. I sigh.

"Yes, I'll go."

"Alright, good. Talk to you tomorrow, honey."

"Okay, goodnight," I say.

"Goodnight, love you, Addie," she says.

"Love you too," I say and hangup. I sigh and look out at the trees. Honestly, I could fall asleep out here. The fresh air, the trees, the comfortable chair. Yes, the chair was comfortable. More comfortable than the cot, obviously.

I sigh and push myself up, putting my phone in my pocket. I reach my hand up to fidget with my necklace. It was a simple gold moon. One with a smiling face, like you see in children's books. It was smaller than my thumbprint. It was on a thin gold chain, with a matching gold clasp. I walk out of my room and walk down the stairs, and find myself in the kitchen way to quickly.

"Good timing, dinners ready," Alec says. I press my lips together and nod. I look over at Axel who glanced at me, but continued eating his food.

While Alec was finishing up whatever he was doing, I sit on the stool next to Axel, who again glances at me. I sigh and nudge him with my elbow. Try. Try for Maggie.

"I'm sorry. I'm just... not used to people wanting me," I whisper so only he can hear. He gives me a smile and slings an arm around my shoulder. I flinch, but he doesn't seem to notice.

I try to keep my back as straight as possible, even though a wave of pain was radiating through my body.

I look at Axel's plate and see steak with mashed potatoes. It smelled good, and looked good but I didn't know how much my stomach could handle.

"It's alright. And, you'll get used to it," he says. I give a tight smile, as Alec presents me with a plate. I stare at it in shock. There was alot of food. Maybe not for a boy, or even the average teenager, but for me that was alot of food.