Chapter 7

"Morning, sunshine," Axel says as I walk into the kitchen on Monday morning. I glare at him. I may like school, but I hate mornings.

"Fuck you," I say breifly. He gapes at me. I raise an eyebrow.

"Is that the first time you've sworn?" He asks. A burst of laughter escapes my lips.

"Ha. No," I say flatley. He looks at Alec with wide eyes and Alec just shrugs. I'm assuming Abel is still passed out upstairs, because it was just the three of us. I don't know why Alec was up so early willingly, though. He hands my food, french toast. It smelled amazing. It had cinnamon and powdered sugar and syrup.

"Alright, are you ready?" Axel asks, when I'm done. I'd gotten a little better at eating more food, and Alec has been getting better at giving me an amount I can actually finish.

"Yeah, sure," I say. He nods and stands up. I grab my bag and pull my phone out of my pocket when I feel it vibrate in my pocket.

Maggie Are you going to school?
Adeline Nope, I dropped out.
Maggie Addie.
Adeline YES! I'm going.
Maggie Good, have a good day.
Adeline You too
Maggie I love you
Adeline I love you too.

I sit in the passneger seat of Axel's car.

"Is that Maggie?" He asks. I nod and put my phone down. "What's she saying."

"Just telling me to have a good day," I tell him.

"You two are close, aren't you?" He asks. I nod.

"She would have adopted me if she could have, but finances disagree," I say. He nods, and looks like he's thinking.

"You're lucky to have her, you know that, don't you?" He asks. I study him for a second.

"Yeah, I do," I say. He nods.

"I don't blame you, Addie," he tells me. I stare at him, not responding. "Abel will come around eventually."

"By the time he does, I'll be gone," I say. He looks at me for a second before looking back at the road.

"What do you mean?" He asks. I sigh and look out the window as we approach the school.

"I told you, and Alec. I never wanted brothers. And I still fully intend on going closer to Maggie when I graduate. Sorry," I say. He looks at me as he parks, with a sad expression on his face.

Before he can say anything, I step out of the car and walk up to the entrance of the school. The office was right near the entrance, so I walk in and see Cole. The smell from the mall invading my senses makes me tense up. For a second my breath gets caught in my throat, then I walk up to the counter where a lady smiles at me. Cole was sitting in one of the chairs along the wall, as if he's waiting for something. I felt his eyes on me as I walked past him. I felt squirmy under his gaze.

"You must be Miss. Wood," she says and I nod. I see Cole shift out of the corner of my eye. "I'm Mrs. Parker, here is your schedule. Locker number. Who your councilor is. And you have a meeting with her during your study hall." I nod and take the papers she gives me.

"Okay," I say. She smiles.

"Your first class is just down the hall, room 213," she tells me. I nod again and give a small, fleeting smile.

"Thank you," I say.

"Of course, dear," she says. I turn, and roll my eyes at the nickname. I notice Cole still looking at me. I glance at him before walking out. I walk down the hall to find the class, when someone appears infront of me. Kayla.