9| Important

I changed the chapter name

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Important

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 9: Important (Emilia's POV)

"I think I'm going to call it a night now, go to my room," I said to Remy. 

Most people had already gone back to their rooms, only a few people were still here. Now, with fewer people to talk to, I had no other choice but to sit here and see Adam. I didn't want to do it anymore, I didn't want to be around him, I didn't want to hear his voice or see his smile or catch his dimples. I just wanted to be away from him. 

"Already?" she asked. "Don't tell me you'll go to sleep, you always stay up late." 

"No, I probably won't sleep. I just want to go back to my room." 

She watched me for a minute before realization flickered across her eyes and she nodded softly. "Goodnight." 

"Goodnight." As I stood up, I heard another chair screech across the floor and when I looked up, I saw Adam standing up, straightening out his shirt. I doubt he stood up and decided to leave just because I was but I couldn't help but think maybe that was it. I glanced at Remy who was already looking between us but then tucked my chair in and turned to the others. "Goodnight, everybody." 

"Goodnight, Em," everyone replied. 

As I walked away from the table, I heard Adam say goodnight to everyone before his footsteps appeared behind me. I closed my eyes for a minute and sighed softly before nearing the elevators and stopping there once I pressed the button. I folded my arms across my chest while he came and stood beside me, his hands tucked into his pockets. 

We both stood in silence and I swore to myself that I wasn't going to be the one to break it this time. I'm always the one who talks first, it makes me feel like I'm the one dying to rekindle our friendship and bring it back to life. 

"I didn't know you were living in New York," he said, breaking the silence. 

Without looking at him, I replied, "I didn't know you were either. I figured you'd still be in Boston." 

"I moved right after college. The team that picked me was based in New York." 

"Good for you, Adam," I mumbled. I didn't know what else to possibly say. 

"You wrote a book," he stated. 

"I sure did." 

"Congratulations. You always wanted to." 

"Thanks." 

"What's it about?" 

"Remind me why you're suddenly talking to me." 

He exhaled softly. "We're standing here alone, Emilia. We're on this trip, how long are we going to avoid each other?" 

"As long as we can. That's what I thought. That was the plan." 

"Well, I'm sure you know by now, I'm not very good at sticking to the plan, am I?" 

My jaw clenched but I willed myself not to look at him. Every time I looked at him, I wanted to cry. I didn't respond and stepped into the elevator as it opened with a soft ding. 

He stepped in with me and pressed the button to the fifth floor. "Do you really think we can last on this trip without finally talking about—" 

I cut him off, "Yeah, I do. We haven't talked in five years. It shouldn't be that hard."