16| Touched

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Touched

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 16: Touched (Adam's POV)

Despite housekeeping cleaning the room while we were gone, I found myself fixing things up before Emilia got in here with her stuff. I fixed up my suitcase and a few of my clothes that were folded on the chair, I fixed up my things on the nightstand, my toiletries in the bathroom. I was just stepping out of the bathroom when she knocked on my door. I released a breath and made my way over but waited a second before twisting it open. 

She stood there with her backpack in one hand while she dragged her suitcase behind her with the other. Her gaze met mine. "Hey." 

"Hey. Come on in." I stepped aside, taking her suitcase from her. 

She stopped, watching me. "You don't have to do that," she mumbled, brushing past me and entering the room. 

"What?" I asked, closing the door behind me. 

"Pretend to be so nice," she said under her breath and then turned to me. "What side do you sleep on? Still on the left?" 

I was a little surprised that she remembered that. I nodded. "Still on the left." 

She glanced at my hold on her suitcase. "You can just leave it, Adam." 

I looked away and ignored her, lifting her suitcase up and leaving it on the small seat beside the one I left my bag on. Then I turned to her, holding my hands up in surrender. "I left it." 

She set her backpack on one of the chairs by the coffee table and then stood there awkwardly. "Huh, your room is the exact same as mine," she remarked. 

"Uh, I'm pretty sure every room here is the same unless it's a suite, but yeah, sure." 

She placed her phone on her nightstand. "Look, I can get ready in the other room if that's easier. At least for tonight." 

I paused, scratching my brow. "You can if you want to, I mean... If you're more comfortable then sure, go ahead. But you can get ready here if you want." 

She sighed softly. "Fine. Let me shower first then. That way, I can get ready while you're in there." 

I nodded and then went and sat on my side of the bed while she walked to her suitcase, taking out her clothes for tonight and then putting them aside. 

She pulled her hair up in a bun and then grabbed a bag, a toiletry bag, and proceeded to carry everything into the bathroom before the door closed and locked with a soft click. 

I fell back on the bed, throwing an arm over my eyes. That was so awkward, it was genuinely, physically painful to experience. This wouldn't be awkward at all if we weren't having such a hostile and hateful phase in our relationship... 

I mean friendship. 

Emilia and I have shared a room before, multiple times, actually. When our families went and stayed at a lake house together over spring break, we shared a room. I've slept in her room so many times. But we haven't shared a bed since we were around the age of seventeen. After that we both felt strange, it felt wrong. We've laid together to watch a movie, sure, but if I ever slept over at her house, I slept on a blow-up mattress.