25| More

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

More

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 25: More (Emilia's POV)

I wanted to apologize but I was reluctant to. To me, I felt like I didn't do anything wrong. I felt how I felt and all I did was express that. But he didn't deserve the way I lashed out at him. It was wrong by him. "I'm sorry," I said quietly, looking away from him and looking down at his tie again, the annoying urge to fix it coming over me again. 

"Why are you sorry?" he asked. I could feel his eyes on me from above. 

"I shouldn't have lashed out at you the way I did. You didn't do anything wrong for me to react that way," I mumbled. "It was my fault, I just—" 

"Panicked. So you said," he cut me off. I thought for a moment that he was angrier than he was letting on and he wouldn't let it go so easily. "But it's not your fault, Emilia." 

I looked up, my eyes meeting his. 

"You know what the problem is? We're trying to pretend like nothing happened between us. Like we're still best friends. And you're right, we're not. We're acting like we are but when reality hits and we realize we're just pretending, it hurts even more. What do you want to do?" 

I sighed, "It's not about what I want, Adam." 

"Yes, it is. It is, Emilia. Because if I told you what I wanted, I know you won't be able to do it for me. But I can do whatever you ask me to. So just tell me." 

"Let me try at least. What do you want, huh?" I lifted my brows at him. He should at least give me a chance to try doing things his way. 

"I want to talk everything out. Right now. I want to leave this party right now so we can talk. Just you and me, alone. Can you do that for me? And remember, we may not even come to a solution, we could just end up hating each other more. And that would ruin this trip. You still want to try?" he huffed, both of us stopping on the dance floor, now standing frozen. 

When I couldn't bring myself to answer him, he eased his hands off me. "Just let me fix this, Emilia. Because it feels like I'm the only one trying. If you don't want to, that's fine, but at least let me do it. I told you, I'm not letting you go now. So just tell me when. Now, tomorrow, or when we're back in New York. Whenever it is, I'll take out the time to sit and talk about this with you." 

"Hey, man." We both turned to our left and saw Brett standing there.

I resisted the urge to sigh and roll my eyes.

His timing couldn't be any worse. 

"Do you mind if I dance with her now? I think you've been with her long enough, don't you?" 

Adam rolled his eyes, taking a small step back before looking at me. "She's all yours." My breath hitched and I wanted to say something, something to keep him from walking away, but he turned around and walked past everybody almost immediately as Brett took his spot in front of me. 

I danced with Brett for maybe five minutes before telling him my legs hurt and I had to take a break. On my way to sit with Emma and aunt Janice at a table, I glanced at the bar and Adam was standing right there with Aspen, both of them drinking while Remy and Ava took some pictures together. I sat down, sighing, and rested my arms on the table, putting my head down.