15| Friends

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Friends

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 15: Friends (Emilia's POV)

While Dad and Adam stood at the front desk, talking to hotel staff, the others left and Remy, Aspen, Mom, Mr. and Mrs. Blackwell, and I stayed seated on the couches, waiting for them to come back. 

Aunt Janice was sitting with Remy and catching up to her but after Remy got busy with Aspen, she moved and sat next to me. "Hey, hon. How've you been?" she asked, nudging my shoulder with her own. 

"Good," I chuckled, nodding. "You?" 

"Good," she replied, smiling. "Oh, it's been so long since I saw you all. How long has it been now? Six years?" 

"Well, the last time you came to San Diego was twelve years ago, actually. But we visited you a few times in between at grandma and grandpa's house for the holidays, remember?" 

"Oh, that's right, that's right. And? What have you been up to? I heard our little Em is an author now." 

I nodded, smiling sheepishly. 

"I bought a copy." 

I paled, staring at her. "You just bought it, right? You didn't read it?" 

She eyed me and then nodded, grinning. "Em," she sang. 

"No," I whined, covering my face. 

"There's sex in that book!" she whisper-yelled. 

"There is, that's why I don't want my family to read it," I groaned. 

She laughed, patting my shoulder. "Don't worry. I forgot that my niece wrote it while I was reading it. I liked it. Cute love story." 

"Thank you," I mumbled, glancing at my shoes. 

"Who's it about?" 

I turned to her. "Hmm?" 

"It's clearly about someone. The boy." 

"The boy," I repeated, dubiously. "Jason Knox?" 

"Hmm. He's Jason Knox in Tainted Hearts. Who is he in real life?" 

"What do you mean?" 

She glanced at the front desk and at Adam, pointedly. 

I followed her gaze and then looked back at her. "What?" 

"It seemed like him." 

"What?" I laughed. 

"I remember him, Em. I know who and exactly what he is to you. It seemed like you were writing about him," she whispered softly. 

"Why? There's nothing similar about Jason and Adam." 

She nodded slowly and then dropped the subject but didn't change it to anything better. "What's wrong with you two? Why so distant?"