8

You awoke at about three in the morning with a throbbing headache. Groaning, you sat up in bed, blindly reaching for your light remote. With your lights bright enough that you could see but also dim enough it didn't hurt your head any further, you stood up and made your way to the bathroom.

Running the bath water, you sat with your feet in while waiting for it to fill up. Your old crummy apartment's shower had so much mold growing that no mater how often you scrubbed it clean with bleach, there'd always be some around.

Living in luxury scared you. You didn't have to worry about money, you hardly worked and you lived like a celebrity who got famous over nothing. What also scared you was living in the same building as psychopaths.

Somewhere along the line you had forgotten that they were cold blooded killers.

But the situation with Mikey had reminded you for some reason, despite it being an accident.

Sliding into the tub, relishing the perfectly warm water on your skin you sighed.

You weren't angry or upset about it, just worried. For your own safety and for the mental health of the silver-haired man. Most of the people in the building had some sort of darkness looming above them, leaving them to seem empty. And they filled the void in any means possible; drugs, sex, money, murder.

And you just got caught up in it.

And it seemed like your emotions finally caught up with the situation you were in. Your head throbbing, chest tightening and muscles spasmed, causing water and bubbles to splash your face in a suffocating coat of foam. Gasping for air, you elbowed the side of the bathtub, a resounding thump upon hitting it, causing you to curse out in a sob.

"(Y/n)?" A voice called from your bedroom door. They were talking but it was a buzz; muffled and muted by the roaring in your mind. But suddenly you were lifted up, wrapped into a fluffy towel and held like a child to someone's chest. They held you tightly, making you feel like a restrained prisoner when really they were trying to stop you from hurting yourself.

"(Y/n)." They spoke monotonously, rocking you back and forth. When you began calming down, your panic morphed into a more tamed distress as you began crying, clinging to the person. "What's happened?" 

Words began pouring from your mouth in between sobs, bubbling up like nonsensical nonsense, the person nodding along as they patted your body dry.

It took a while, but you had finally calmed down enough for you to get changed and lie in your bed, Kakucho sitting beside you awkwardly after the whole fiasco.

"Go to sleep." He told you, eyes emotionless making you feel as though the only warmth he had was the warmth of his blood. But you felt your eyelids grow heavy, your episode leaving you exhausted and sore.

"I'm so sorry." You murmured, guilt clawing at your chest. Kakucho shrugged and stood up, absentmindedly pulling up your covers for you.

"You didn't wake me. I was coming up from my office when I heard you." He muttered, staring out at your window. 

"I'm sorry for being a burden." You whispered, that feeling of guilt overwhelming you reminding you of how you always felt like a bother to the people around you.

Kakucho recognised that loneliness in your voice and his eyes softened ever so slightly. "If you need anything else, I'm across the hall." He stroked your hair one last time before turning off the lights and walking out.

"Goodnight." You called out and his figure paused in the doorway before he said it back and closed the door.

"Goodnight."

————————

"She's okay?" Mikey asked, his back to Kakucho. The scarred male nodded before answering verbally.

"I think so. Something got her shaken up." Mikey winced at Kakucho's words. He didn't care for you very much, you were nothing more than an employee but he had caused you harm and that made him more remorseful than he had been in years.

"Okay. Don't let anyone bother her." Mikey waved Kakucho away and the male turned and left.

Mikey groaned, the sounds of you struggling last night replying in his mind, the fear in your eyes as you flinched away from him. It made him sick that he liked the feeling. He felt like a predator.

But then at the same time there was that guilt. You didn't deserve that. Not really. Not when you had been plucked from your life and practically forced to work as a servant to a bunch of criminals under the illusion that you had a choice. It was true that the prettiest flower was always picked first and he had to resist the urge to leave you out on the ground to wilt and be trampled on.

He didn't want to taint that purity, that innocence that reminded him of the little daisies that used to grow by his house. The one's his little sister used to make flower crowns out of. Bright and virtuous, untainted by the blood that stained his own hands.

But then something clicked in his mind. Failing the phone on his desk with one hand, the other flipped through the file of you that had been compiled.

"Kokonoi. Dig more into her past." He commanded the male on the other end of the line.

Kokonoi didn't say anything, instead just hung up as he began his research.

"What happened in your life?" Mikey muttered, fingers tracing the printed ink as if he'd feel the answer. "What possessed you to kill a man?"

————————

You sat in your bed, feeling unrested and like you had been beaten by a bat. With a groan, you reached for your phone only to find that it was one in the afternoon. Next to your phone was a glass of water and a small porcelain dish holding two painkillers. You eyed them skeptically, worried that they weren't just painkillers. You had watched Sanzu take too much ecstasy for your liking.

Underneath was a note signed off from Kakucho so it eased your worries about the pills. Reading it you sighed in relief. You wouldn't have to work for the day.

And so you spent the rest of the afternoon lounging in bed, playing on your phone and skimming through shows to watch.

At about six however, boredom crept into your bones and you crept outside of your room and into the elevator, still clad in your pyjamas.

Knocking on Kakucho's office, he sighed out a "Come in." You poked your head in guiltily and spoke.

"Have you had dinner yet? I'm planning on making chicken porridge." You asked, playing with your hands. Kakucho's eyes widened before he gave a curt nod.

"I believe no one has eaten yet, will you be making dinner for everyone?" He asked, hand hovering above his phone.

Nodding, you stood up straight. "Yeah I can do that. Sorry for bothering you." You walked away leaving Kakucho to ponder over your behaviour.

Were you sorry for just then or for earlier that morning? You seemed unnaturally troubled but he really didn't see it as his problem. You were there to look after them, so why was there a flicker of worry for you in his cold heart?