12

Turns out the other's had ordered lunch for themselves which gave you some time to do whatever you wanted. And so you decided to visit the rooftop.

You were quite surprised with it's appearance when you got up there. Garden beds of wilted flowers sat and trees cast shade where you walked. The grass was a sickly green and was in need of some maintenance but there was a hot tub tucked away in the corner.

"It's not really in good condition, is it?" A voice asked from behind you. You turned to see Mikey standing there, blank expression masking his features. "Shame." His pale fingers traced the petals of a dying carnation. At his touch, the petals fell and crumbled. He huffed in amusement.

How fitting.

"How are you feeling?" You asked, eyeing him worriedly. His eyes were sunken in and cheeks hollowing. But he still had that oddly familiar beauty about him, even in his gaunt face.  He shrugged his shoulders, looking up at you with his dark eyes.

"Tired."

Nodding in understanding, you took a step towards him. "Having you been eating at least?"

He shrugged once again. "Enough."

You pursed your lips and compassion filled your eyes with warmth. You were terrified of what these men had been through.

Mikey started walking over to sit beneath a tree, patting the grass beside him in an invitation to join him. You did so, sitting less than a foot away. He hummed in approval, leaning his head back on the tree.

"Can I ask you a question?" You broke the silence, Mikey's eyes side glancing you.

With a him he spoke, "In return I get to ask one." suggesting a compromise after a moment of thought.

You nodded before asking your question. "What's your real name?"

He blinked, evidently not expecting that question. "Manjiro. Manjiro Sano." He answered, looking up, the dappled sunlight painting his porcelain skin. "Why'd you wanna become a doctor?"

You clicked your tongue. "To repent, I suppose. And out of regret."

He glared at you, obviously unsatisfied with your response. "Your turn."

You nodded and tapped your chin pensively. "Family?"

"Dead." He answered simply. "You?"

"Dead. I don't know about my brother though." He narrowed his eyes at your response. "Bonten?"

He sighed. "Middle school, me and my friends made a gang. I guess I lost myself and others along that path. And now I'm too far down to turn back." You nodded understandingly. He then turned to look you in the eyes, the fierceness making you gulp. "Why'd you kill your father?"

The question caught you off guard. "Excuse me?" Your throat was dry and palms started to sweat. Mikey quirked a brow at your response before repeating the question.

"Why'd you kill your father?"

"Complications." You stuttered. "He wasn't the best father."

Mikey nodded, once again unsatisfied. "Because of your lack of proper answers, I get to ask another question..."

The way he trailed off only made you more anxious as you shivered in terror.

"What is the name of your brother?"

———————

"Kokonoi. What have you found?" Mikey asked the silvered haired male impatiently. Annoyed, Kokonoi took his time sitting across from his boss. He then very slowly handed over the file in his gloved hands.

Mikey leafed through it, eyes light black holes absorbing all the information. "Her Father?"

Kokonoi chuckled. "For beating her mom and brother as well as herself apparently."

"How drastic." Mikey nodded to himself. Then his eyes fell on the name listed under the picture of the woman. "Hanemiya."

"Yep. She's the pure-blooded sister of Kazutora Hanemiya. Ironic isn't it?" Kokonoi stuck his tongue out, his voice laced in a deadly mixture of amusement and venom.

"Ironic?" Mikey muttered to himself, eyes stuck to the name on the paper. "What's ironic?"

"That her brother killed your own, as well as Baji Keisuke. And now she's here to look after us. Isn't that at least a little ironic?" Kokonoi's voice was edging on being patronising.

"Kazutora's sister?" Mikey blocked out Kokonoi as his mind raced a mile a minute. He had of course heard about her but never had actually met her. Much like how Kazutora had never met Shinichiro. The only person he ever remembered to have met her was Baji.

Now it all made sense.

——————

"Your brother killed mine. Did you know that?" Mikey asked you, a blank expression clouding his thoughts.

You swallowed and nodded. "Yeah. The minute you said your real name."

"He's alive. In jail." Mikey said, staring into your eyes. "Your brother." The venom in his voice made you cringe.

"So it's true." You whispered, crying quietly. Your loving and sweet brother who had been broken by your parents, was still alive.

"He killed Baji."

Your face crumpled as you began sobbing. "I didn't even know that he was out of juvie." With a whisper you spoke. "I'm so sorry."

Mikey blinked, the anger dissipating. "How didn't you know?"

You sniffled, dragging the heel of your hand across your eyes. "I was waiting for him to get out of juvie, but I never heard he did. It was supposed to be August second but when I went for him, they just told me that he had gone. They never said where. But I never gave up looking for my baby brother."

"But he was older than you?" Mikey asked, surprising you and making you smile slightly.

"Oh yes. But he was still my baby brother. I still looked after him." You sighed sadly.

"Would you like to go see him?" Mikey offered, surprising you even further.

"You'd let me?" You asked with a gasp. He nodded curtly and threw your arms around his neck without thinking. "Thank you so much!"

Mikey stiffened and gently pried you off to find you crying happily.

He guessed it probably wasn't the time to bring up Hanma.