39

"Hey. I have an idea." Inui slammed his empty beer bottle down, gaining the attention of the others. Their party had met up again, to discuss what they were going to do about it. "You guys remember Taiju Shiba?"

"We tried him." Hanma hissed. "Being sneaky isn't going to work. We need to bust in and kill all of those bastards and get her back." His hand crushed the cigarette he had been holding.

"That's not like you." Kazutora huffed, hands ruffling his messy hair. The circles under their eyes had all gotten darker. "I have a terrible feeling in my stomach."

"Hm?" Draken raised a brow, tipping back his beer.

"Whenever I get anxious about my sister I always feel sick. But she always seems to be in trouble when it happens." Kazutora muttered as Hanma let out a groan, pulling at his own hair.

"I need to help her." Hanma gritted his teeth.

"Why are you so pressed about it? You don't really have a moral compass so what's the real reason? Why are you so set on helping her?" Chifuyu asked, opening another bottle for Inui and sliding it down.

"None of your business." Hanma spat, going back to nursing his glass of gin.

"I think it is." Draken pushed.

"Hanma. What have you been doing to my sister?" Kazutora regarded the man with a newfound suspicion.

Hanma huffed, rubbing his face. "I love her."

The others stared at him before Chifuyu chortled and Draken joined in the laughter.

"Love?" Inui raised a brow. "That's a big word man."

"I know it is." Hanma growled. "I would never use it carelessly." This brought another round of laughter from Draken and Chifuyu. Kazutora regarded Hanma thoughtfully.

"Did you really love her? Or was she just a replacement for Kisaki?"

Hanma met his eyes before his face softened into a smile. "I love her."

—————

Hanma muttered, kicking a can alongside the street. Tokyo was usually free of any litter but in the back parts, it was dirtier. It was where the dirty things happened.

He kicked a bit hard, and it flew past figures walking towards him.

"Oi!" A bunch of curses and slurs followed as Hanma sighed pushing his long hair back and tying it up. "You kicked this can at us kid?" Hanma smirked, flexing slightly as he shifted into a relaxed fighting stance. Finally, a little bit of excitement.

One of the men pulled out a knife and Hanma rolled his eyes. Of course they were this scummy. They lunged at him and he leant away, smashing his fist into their face. They stumbled away and Hanma received the other man's punch, blocking it before lifting his leg up to shove his foot into his chest.

The fight continued, Hanma purposefully drawing it out and playing with them, desperate for some kind of excitement.

But he didn't anticipate another group joining them, and a pipe swung around at the back of his head. He was able to get out of the way, taking the hit to the shoulder. The guy with the knife took it as his opportunity to make his move, driving the blade into Hanma's shoulder.

The boy groaned, licking his lips before kneeing the male in the face, feeling his nose crumble against his kneecap. He punched the other guy in the face, the one who he had kicked earlier, whilst keeping an eye on the two newcomers.