18

"(Y/n), (Y/n), (Y/n)..." Mikey repeated in a monotonous mantra, spinning around in his chair, taiyaki sitting on his desk, untouched. Sanzu watched him from a corner where he was polishing a knife.

"Boss..." He started, treading carefully. Mikey paused his haunting song for a moment before speaking.

"Quiet." He snapped, not sparing Sanzu a glance before going back to chanting your name.

It was a funny thing, morality. He felt two sides of himself in constant turmoil with each other. Your presence had thrown his darkness into light and he suddenly gained some awareness of what he was doing.

"The best future..." He muttered, tracing a finger along the leather of his chair, nail catching and scratching it.

"We can get rid of her." Sanzu spoke up. Mikey glanced over briefly. Encouraged, Sanzu continued, "I mean, it's not like we need her. She's an expense, a liability."

Mikey blinked, looking up at the ceiling with a sigh. "You think I don't know this? But we can't. If Kurahikari gets their hands on her..."

Sanzu's eyes narrowed and he sneered. "So? Who cares? We can take them down and who gives a damn if that whore dies."

In the blink of an eye, Mikey held his glock out, aiming for Sanzu's head. "Watch your words."

Sanzu was taken aback. Why was everyone so taken with you? He thought it would be fun to tease you, break you down and play around with you but it just didn't work. It didn't matter that he gave the idea of breaking you down to Mikey. It didn't matter that you had your heart torn by not being able to see your brother.

It was starting to frustrate him.

He hated that you bounced back.

He hated that Mikey was okay with it.

"But boss..." He crept closer, a venomous look in his eyes as he schemed. "What if..."

———————

"Ah, thank you for today."  You thanked Mochi as he helped you out of the car. He nodded with a kind smile.

"It's okay sweetheart. He then waved a hand to two henchmen and they began taking the plants from the cars. "Take them to the roof, leave the bags, I'll take them myself."

Kakucho came around your other side, walking you to the elevator. "Thanks Kakucho." He nodded and kept his eyes forward. "Why did we go out today? What was the motive?"

He blinked and looked down at you. He knew that you'd figure out that it wasn't a simple outing to have fun. "Mikey's orders."

With a rolled of your eyes, you scoffed lightly. "Does he want me to become as bipolar as him?"

"I don't know what Mikey wants with you. I don't even know why you're here and honestly I don't wish for you to be here."

His words sounded harsh, his tone monotonous but his eyes were almost sympathetic.

"But right now you're all wondering if I have connections to Kurahikari." You murmured. He nodded reluctantly.

"How do you know Hanma?" He asked.

Shrugging you responded honestly, "I said this earlier but I guess I'll say it again: we met when he screwed up and needed someone to patch him up. The extent of our relationship was hanging out and smoking. He'd visit when he was injured or in the mood to annoy someone. Which was a lot. I wouldn't even say we were friends."