10

Sleep evaded you that night and you found yourself pacing in the living room, phone in one hand, cup of herbal tea in the other.

"Can't sleep?" Kokonoi asked, stepping out of the elevator. You jumped, turning to look at him with a guilty expression.

"Yeah. Everything's been so..." you trailed off, not being able to find the right word.

Kokonoi huffed and walked past you into kitchen before suggesting a word. "Dramatic?"

You nodded, placing your tea on the kitchen counter and sliding into a stool. "Yeah, dramatic."

"Well you live in a building of murderers and drug addicts, what would you expect?" He rolled his eyes, loosening his tie and pushing his hair back from his face. "Actually, considering your past, you should be doing alright." He eyed you with a raised brow and you almost choked on your sip of tea.

"Excuse me?" Your eyes widened in disbelief.

"Honestly, (Y/n). You've seen and done some things. Why now do you choose to act like a saint?" He asked, leaning forward onto his elbows to look down at you with a sneer.

"Goodnight Kokonoi." You stood up indignantly, grabbing your tea and marching to the elevator. Kokonoi watched you leave, narrow eyes lit with amusement.

"How interesting."

———————

Huffing, you pushed your hair back from your face as you marched down the hall to your room, only to be met with a figure standing outside the door next to yours. Takeomi looked up at you, hand on the doorknob as you marched past him hastily.

"What's got your panties in a twist?" He asked around his usual cigarette.

Holding your empty hand out you spoke to him with annoyance flashing across your face. "Here your dropped your nose in my business."

"Woah, hey. Calm your tits." He held his hands out with an amused smirk and you sighed, attitude dropping as exhaustion and exasperation took it's place.

"Sorry." You muttered, dragging a hand down your face. "It's just that..." Not knowing how to put it into words, you trailed off. Takeomi nodded and shrugged.

"I don't really care, but want a cigarette?" He asked, holding out a packet. You cringed and shook your head.

"No thank you. It took me too long to get off them." You stepped away and towards your room. "Night."

"Yeah." Takeomi walked into his room and you did the same.

"Apathetic, cold blooded, serial killers." You muttered as you slammed your door shut forcefully.

"What was that, Angel?" Ran asked, his lanky figure sprawled across your bed.

You screamed, throwing the cup of tea at him, making him scream as the hot water splashed him. The two of you stood there, screaming before your door flung open again, smacking you right in the back of your head, making you scream louder.

Kakucho and Takeomi both entered, finding you with blood pouring out of your head and Ran screaming and trying to cool his burning skin.

"What the hell?!" Kakucho breathed, picking you up, arms constricting the air out of you, effectively shutting you up. Takeomi threw his slipper at Ran's face, quieting the man.

"What happened?" Takeomi asked, ticked off.

"I walked into here, into my bloody room to find this no-good rat bastard lying on my sheets so of course I get scared and throw my cup of tea at him and then you came in and slammed the door into my head and I just-" Cutting yourself off with a hiccup, you bit back a sob.

Ran eyed you with wide eyes, fingernails digging into his palms to stop himself from smirking. 

You trembled, feeling yourself breakdown again. Kakucho jerked his head towards the door signifying that the other two should take their leave.

Takeomi did so, casting a glance at you before dragging Ran out.

Kakucho kicked the door closed before before sitting down on your bed. "What's wrong?" He asked, a small hint of worry in his voice.

You sniffled, shaking your head. You didn't want him to see you cry again. But something about being held, even if it was by arms that held you emotionlessly, it broke down the walls you spent years building up.

"I want to go home." You sobbed quietly. Your words somewhat shocked Kakucho. He thought you were doing fine here, enjoying it to a degree. But here you were, begging to go back to your crummy old apartment.

"Home? You call that a home?" He asked with a raised brow.

Glaring at him you shot back, "You call this a home? It's like a safe space for murders to indulge in their darkness, it's disgusting. I wonder if you guys are even human."

"We're not." He answered simply, eyes glossy and jaw clenched. "Or humanity was stripped away with our childhood."

You stared at him, regretful of your words. But the situation they were in as kids shouldn't excuse the way they were now. You were able to break free of the toxicity your parents held you to. You wished you could say the same about your brother.

"You should've realised what you signed up for when you came along."

You perked your head back up, shock and disgust lacing your voice when you said, "You're saying that like you gave me a choice."

It was his turn to hang his head, guilt flashing across his face. "I can't excuse that, I'm sorry."

His apology surprised you and you sat there, dumbfounded.

You let out a frustrated groan. "Why me, Kakucho? Why me?"

He stared at you, hard, for a solid minute. He didn't answer you simply because he couldn't. He didn't know why. He didn't even like the idea of having someone forced to stay there. Maybe it was because you had no one, no one to know if you were missing. Maybe it was because you had helped Ran, a criminal, without a second thought. He had no idea why you had piqued the other's interests.

"It's all a bit much." You sighed, crawling away from him and sliding into your bed. "Goodnight."

At your obvious dismissal, Kakucho nodded and exited, leaving you alone with your thoughts.

You wondered why it took so long for you to become anxious about the situation you were in. You wondered why you were in the situation you were in. You wondered about the one person who you thought cared about you, and whether they were looking for you. You wondered about your brother, and how he was. If he was still alive.