28

"I'm not going to go up Tokyo's worst criminal organisation to help Tokyo's other worse criminal organisation rescue your," Chifuyu pointed skeptically at Kazutora, "Supposed sister."

"I understand that you might feel that way but I'd recommend you to reconsider." Hanma smiled, leaning back in his chair as he ran a hand through his hair.

"Hmm..." Chifuyu looked up at his ceiling while tapping his chin, "no." He glanced at Kazutora who sat silently with his hands folded in his lap.

Hanma noticed the glance and nodded to himself. "Look, we get that you mightn't like us very much as we both stabbed Toman in the back." He grinned, "Some of us more literally than others."

Chifuyu's jaw dropped as Kazutora puffed out his cheeks.

"Yeah cause that'll get him to help us." The latter muttered, scraping his chair against the table and making his way to the door.

Hanma ignored him and kept staring at Chifuyu. "Chifuyu. Despite what's happened between us, we do really need your help. You're a good guy, hear me out."

"No Hanma. I already put that life behind me, that's the end of this discussion." Chifuyu said firmly.

"It's the right thing to do. You wouldn't let a defenceless woman stay captured by criminals, would you?" Hanma's words crept into Chifuyu's mind. "They could be doing terrible things to her."

Chifuyu hesitated. "Why are you so interested in helping Kazutora?"

Hanma barked out a curt laugh. "No, no. Kazutora is helping me."

In confusion, Chifuyu scrunched up his face. "What? Well why are you so adamant about helping her?"

Hanma grinned. "That's my own business Chifuyu."

"We'll if you want my help, I'm going to need the full story." Chifuyu crossed his arms, happy to have gotten to a crossroads.

With a sigh, Hanma leant forwards, "All you need to know is that it's the right thing to do. It's what Baji would want you to do."

Chifuyu froze as his jaw clenched, "What?"

Hanma smirked; he had him. "Oh, didn't you know?" He feigned surprise, "Kazutora, Baji and (Y/n) were thick as thieves. Literally. Best little buds."

"He'd never mentioned them before," Chifuyu mumbled until something clicked and his eyes flew wide open.

"Oh, he did?" Hanma asked, resting his head on his hand.

"The picture..." Chifuyu murmured, standing up and walking to the living room. There Kazutora sat, holding two torn pieces of paper together. Tears streamed down his cheeks and he made no effort to stop them.

Chifuyu had always wondered about that picture, it was one that Baji carried around with him all the time, he cherished it and carried it over his heart along with the picture of the founding members of Toman. Chifuyu never understood why as it was torn and it was a picture of two kids, a boy and a girl both with bright smiles.

But Kazutora held the missing piece, a picture of Baji with the brightest grin on his face with someone else's hand pulling his cheek. The girl had her face pressed to his as he fended off the attack and Kazutora from the side had his arm wrapped around his little sister, holding up a peace sign with his unoccupied hand.

"Is that you guys?" Chifuyu asked quietly. Kazutora didn't look up but instead nodded quietly.

Hanma watched from the doorway, concealed in his pockets were hands curled into fists.