God Only Knows

"Knock knock." Fred announces his presence as he opens the door of the Jones' house.

"Living room." FP calls back from the floor where he's piecing together a puzzle with his daughter.

"We brought food."

"We?" FP questions, turning his head and spotting a redhead by Fred's side. "Mary! Hey, when did you get back?"

"Aunt Mary!" June exclaims, abandoning the puzzle in favour of running to the woman.

"Hi honey, long time no see." She scoops the little girl into her arms and pecks a kiss to her cheek. FP smiles at them, since he's an only child and Gladys' sister lives farther away, Fred and Mary took on a sort of aunt/uncle role in his daughter's life. "And I got in late last night, figured we'd stop in as a little surprise." She explains to FP.

"Well it's a great surprise." FP tells her, curling his arms around her. "I know you're this hotshot publicist now but don't forget about the little people."

She rolls her eyes fondly. "Are you telling me you're the little people?"

"I have been feeling pretty abandoned by you lately." He teases.

"Well lucky for you I'm sticking around here for a while. Fred said it would probably be a good idea." She doesn't elaborate due to the little girl in her arms, who's listening so intently and soaking up every word.

FP catches on though. "Yeah, unfortunately, he's probably right."

"Why don't we go get first dibs at the food, huh kiddo?" Mary suggests, thinking that the boys might want a moment to talk.

Fred waits until the girl's are out of earshot and then speaks. "Sorry, I had to tell her. I wanted to wait for you but I knew you had June and-"

"Fred it's fine, she needs to know so she can prep for damage control. Unfortunately I think shit is going to hit the fan."

"We're planning to announce the tour cancellation this week, we want to give the venues a heads up and the fans enough time to cancel any flights or reservations they may have made."

He nods. "I feel like an asshole."

"It's not your fault, man."

"I know, but still."

Fred claps him on the shoulder. "It'll be alright. Have you worked any more on those songs?"

"Uh, yeah. They're kind of a mess at the moment but there's at least something there now." He passes Fred his notebook and prepares himself for the criticism.

"There's some real potential here," Fred says, surprising him.

"You think?"

"Yeah, I mean like you said, it's sort of a mess right now but once it's cleaned up and structured more we could have something really great."

"Yeah well good luck with that, I can't seem to figure out a melody, or even a note, I'm just stumped."

Fred bites his cheek gently. "What if we brought someone in?" He suggests. "Just to help get it on track, make it sound more like a song and less like a 15 year old's diary." 

FP narrows his eyes at him at the comment but doesn't disagree. The songs, if you can even call them that, do need work. Maybe bringing in some help wouldn't be such a bad idea. "That might help."

"Ok, great. I'll make some calls, see who's available, maybe we can get-"

FP tunes Fred out as he thinks back to a week ago, to a song that still plays in his mind just about every day. How effortless the lyrics sounded, how deep and beautiful the song was. Maybe that's the kind of thing he needs?

"Actually, I have someone in mind." He interrupts.

Fred raises an eyebrow at him. "Oh, okay! Who are you thinking?"

"This woman I met at a cafe, you know the one, The Hummingbird?"

Fred nods. "Do you have her number? I can give her a call and see if she's available."

"Well see that's the problem, I only know her name, and she's not a professional songwriter as far as I know. I think it's more of a hobby than anything, but she did say she'd give me a hand if I ever need it."

Fred raises a disapproving eyebrow at him. "Are you sure she isn't some crazed fan trying to get close?"

FP immediately shakes his head. "No, no, if anything I'm the one who's a fan. You remember the name Alice Smith? She brought out that EP years ago and we thought she was gonna go huge but she never brought out anything again?"

"Yeah. Is this her?"

"It's her, and she's incredible. Even more so than back then. I think if she got her hands on this mess, she'd be able to make some magic with it."

"If you think so," Fred reluctantly agrees. "But we'll do it at the studio, just in case."

FP rolls his eyes at the lack of faith. "Fine. But just wait, you're gonna be blown away. I mean this song she sang that night... it's one of the best I've ever heard."

Fred studies him for a moment, his eyebrow raised disapprovingly. "What are you doing man?"

FP blinks. "What?"

"You can't go sparking up a relationship with someone, as far as the public knows you and Gladys are still together and happy as a clam."

"I'm not sparking up anything!" FP insists.

"Really? Cause' the way you're talking about her sounds like you have feelings."

FP rolls his eyes. "Don't do that, don't turn this into something it's not. I went out, I met a fellow musician, we talked about music and she offered to write with me sometime, that's all."

"All I'm saying is be careful, as soon as the divorce is announced and the tour is called off you're going to be watched like a hawk. Every move you make is going to be scrutinized, if you're seen with a brand new girl right after, even if it's just a harmless friendship, rumours are gonna be started."

"Here daddy!" June squeals as she runs into the room, a plate balanced in her tiny hands.

"Thanks Junebug," He smiles at her and takes the plate, helping her up onto the couch beside him.

"Aunt Mary said that we could go for ice cream later if I eat all my dinner!"

"She did? That sounds like fun, I guess we better eat up then huh?" He smiles at his little girl, who's so much like him.

Fred locks eyes with FP as Mary passes him a plate. "Just think about what I said okay?"

"I will." FP assures him. "And think about what I said, I think she could really help."