Honky Tonk Angels

By the time morning rolls around FP still hasn't fully grasped the events of the night prior. He's been staring at the little gold trophy since his eyes opened, surprised by how something so small can hold such weight and importance.

He's just about to let his eyes drift shut again but his cell phone begins to ring, startling him fully awake. He blindly reaches for it and holds it to his hear, his voice thick with sleep. "Hello?"

"Hi daddy!" June's sugary sweet voice chirps on the other line.

He grins immediately, sitting up in his bed. "Hey baby-girl, what are you up to?"

"I'm eating breakfast. Mommy bought Lucky Charms!"

"Well aren't you a lucky girl. Are you actually eating the cereal or just the marshmallows?" He questions, knowing her all too well.

"The marshmallows just taste better." She defends.

He chuckles. "You getting ready for school?"

"Yeah, I just wanted to call you first and say con... comgramulations." She attempts the large word and FP smirks at the adorable fumble.

He knows what she means nonetheless. "Thank you, did you watch the show?"

"Yeah I was allowed to stay up past bedtime to watch!" She explains. "You said my name!"

"I sure did, had to thank the most important girl in my life."

"Does that make me famous too now?"

FP laughs, a low baritone sound. "Absolutely."

He hears a woman's voice in the background and tenses a little, knowing it's Gladys. "Almost time to go honey, say goodbye."

"I have to say bye now daddy." June solemnly parrots. "Will I see you soon though?"

"I'm sure you will, we can plan something." He tells her. "Have a good day at school, and be good for your mom."

"I will! Here you can say hi to mommy!" June squeaks, passing the phone before FP has a chance to decline.

"No honey, it's-" Gladys begins to protest before giving in. "Hey." She sighs.

"Hey," FP replies. "How are you?"

"Oh you know, keeping busy." Gladys says. "How about you? How is the tour going?"

"It's good, going really good."

"Congratulations by the way. June was so excited for you."

"Thanks G. Means a lot."

There's a thick, awkward silence hanging over them and he breathes a sigh of relief when Gladys gives an out to the conversation. "Well I should probably be getting her to school."

"Right, right. Well, don't be a stranger."

"Take care of yourself, FP."

"You too, Gladys."

<>

FP is welcomed by applause and cheers as he floats into the hotel's dining room, his entire band and crew waiting for him. "There he is, the man of the hour!"

"Well now I could get used to this." He chuckles. He takes a seat at one of the table's, next to Alice and she smiles, nudging him with her elbow.

"Hey there Mr Grammy Winner."

"Hey you." He greets back. "Or should I say my silent partner Grammy winner?"