Isn't She Lovely

"And this is a c chord," FP explains as he demonstrates. June copies him to the best of her abilities, stretching her much smaller fingers to reach the strings and hold them down. "There you go. Now strum it."

She reaches her arm out to try and strum the guitar but her fingertips just barely reach the top string. She huffs. "I can't reach."

"Here, let me." He reaches around to hold her fingers on the chord and strums the guitar, a wonky yet decent sound coming out. "Look at you!"

"I did it!" She squeaks excitedly. "Alice!" She calls, and FP turns to find the blonde walking onto the bus.

"Hey you, what are you up to?"

"Daddy's showing me how to play guitar, listen!" She looks up at FP expectantly and he chuckles as he strums the strings for her. "See?"

"Wow, you may just be better than your daddy." Alice teases with a wink.

"My hands are too small so daddy has to help me but I know some of the chords!"

"Yeah?" Alice kneels down in front of her, setting aside the takeout bag she had come back with. "Let's see what you've got."

FP smiles as he watches the two of them, and reaches for the takeout bag. "I'll grab some plates." He says, stepping over to where Mary and Fred are unpacking the rest of the food.

Alice nods and takes his spot, strumming as June plays the chords FP had taught her, smiling proudly at the girl.

"Seems like they get along well." Mary comments.

"Yeah, June really likes her." FP agrees.

"I don't think she's the only one." Fred looks up at that, a stoic but mildly disapproving look on his face.

"Come on Mare-" FP begins to protest.

"Hey, no judgment just... I see the way you two look at each other."

"How we look at each other?" FP furrows his brow. "What are you getting at?"

"All I'm saying is, I don't think you ever looked at Gladys that way." Mary comments without much thought. "Dinner!" She announces to the bus, setting out a stack of paper plates.

"Mary-"

"I think we may have a new guitarist." Alice comments, surprising FP. "I think yours and Gladys' talent rubbed off on her."

"Might just have to bring her out for a show." FP jokes, that crooked smile of his making an appearance.

"Alice said she'd teach me how to play Twinkle Twinkle!" June chirps, tugging on FP's hand.

"I don't even know how to play that, you really are better than me." He passes June a plate and she carefully balances it in her hands as she goes to sit down.

"Should I teach you how to play Twinkle Twinkle too?" Alice teases.

He laughs. "I'd be honoured."

<>

"Say! I like green eggs and ham! I do! I like them, Sam-I-am! And I would eat them in a boat! And I would eat them with a goat... And I will eat them in the rain. And in the dark. And on a train. And in a car. And in a tree. They are so good, so good, you see!" FP reads rhythmically, while June listens intently, curled up next to his side.

He continues. "So I will eat them in a box. And I will eat them with a fox. And I will eat them in a house. And I will eat them with a mouse. And I will eat them here and there. Say! I will eat them anhywhere!"

June pipes in, having memorized the story after having been read it so many times. "I do so like
Green eggs and ham! Thank you! Thank you, Sam-I-am."

He closes the book and turns his head to look at June, bopping her on the nose with his finger. Her nose scrunches up in reaction as she giggles. "What do you say? Bedtime now?"

"One more story?" She pleads, giving him her best puppy dog eyes.

"Green Eggs and Ham was your "one more story" missy." He reminds her.

"Will you stay with me until I fall asleep?"

"Sure baby." He reaches to turn off the small nightlight and pulls the blankets better up around her as she settles more comfortably into the pillows.

She's quiet for a long while and just as FP thinks she's asleep, she speaks again. "Daddy?"

"Yeah?"

"I like Alice."

"I know you do, she likes you too."

"Do you like her, dad?"

"Yeah, kid. Of course I do."

"I don't think mommy likes her," She sighs. "Do you think she'll be mad at me?"

"No, no of course not honey. Mommy loves you, she could never be mad at you." He assures her, stroking her hair. "Mommy likes her, she's just a little sad she can't be out here with us, that's all."

"I'm sad I can't be here too, I wish I could stay longer."

"I know, I wish you could too." He frowns, squeezing her tight as she cuddles into him. "But you know you can always come see me. You just call me and mommy and I will set it up."

"I wish mommy could stay too though."

FP thinks hard for a response, not sure how to explain to June that it's just not possible. "But who would keep Aunt Shelby company if mommy stayed here? She'd be lonely."

"That's true." She agrees. "I'm gonna miss you when I go home. I wish you weren't far away."

He swallows around the lump in his throat. "I'm gonna miss you too, Junebug. But we've had a good week huh? You've had fun?"

"So much! I can't wait to tell mommy everything we did."

"I'm sure she'll love to hear about it," He tells her. "Get some sleep honey, we'll talk more in the morning."