Tin Man

Alice looked forward to the bus ride from city to city, finding peace in the in between, and using the quiet boredom around her to write and craft new music. It's not like she was planning anything with them, they were for her, some people kept a diary, she wrote songs, it had always felt more natural and sincere to her.

After stopping into a diner for a bite to eat, and ordering a perfectly mediocre cheeseburger, she's immediately back to scribbling down lyrics, inspiration flowing from her with ease.

FP, naturally, is the one who interrupts, catching her attention when he walks over to the booth she's cornered herself at. "Do you mind?" He wonders, gesturing to the empty seat across from her.

"Be my guest." She agrees, sitting up a little straighter.

"First week of shows is done, how do you feel?" He asks, hiding the nervous concern in his voice, albeit not very well. She knows he worries about her, thinks of her as a potential flight risk, so she smiles reassuringly at him and answers honestly.

"Surprisingly calmer than I expected, you were right."

"That's what I like to hear." FP chuckles. "Seriously though, I'm glad you're doing okay, you seemed pretty spooked before the first show."

She shudders as she thinks back, feeling her blood pressure rise at the mere thought of how panicked she had felt before that first show. "I'm not gonna lie, sometimes I still am, but gosh... the crowds? You just can't beat those reactions."

He grins. "It's the freaking best right?"

She nods. "I knew you'd get those kinds of reactions but hearing them yell my name? That's just... I don't know, I guess I never expected that." She shrugs, casting her eyes away from his.

"I did." He answers without missing a beat, and her eyes sparkle. "I knew they'd love you, you just need to see yourself from my eyes."

"And you need to see yourself through mine." She repeats back, an "I told you so" tone to her voice.

"What are you writing?" He wonders, trying to peer over at her swirly writing.

"Just a song I've been working on."

"May I?" He asks gently, eager to read the newest song she's worked on, but not wanting to push her if she's not ready to share.

She hesitates for a moment before passing him the weathered notebook. "It's new, more of a personal project than a serious one." She begins to ramble as he reads her words, so nervous to show him something so personal.

"Alice, this is incredible."

"You don't have to-"

"I mean it," he insists immediately. "This line here, If you ever felt one breaking, you'd never want a heart. I mean gosh, that cuts deep."

She visibly relaxes and leans closer across the table, seeing what lines he's pointing out. "You think?"

"How'd you come up with this one? It feels... different in some way." He decides, quickly backtracking. "Not in a bad way, like I say, incredible, just, I don't know it feels different somehow."

"Like I said, it's more of a personal project. Consider it a diary entry if you will."

"When you say personal, you mean this comes from real experience?" She nods. "Shit."

She smiles sadly. "We all have our heartbreaks, right?"

"This feels more like a heart-wreck, like, If you don't mind the scars. You give me your Armor, and you can have my heart. That's a tough one to stomach." She can tell he's genuinely concerned and it immediately makes her nervous. "Do you want to talk about it?"

She shakes her head quickly, and takes the notebook back from him. "It's silly, just my old high school boyfriend. You know how it is, your first love as a stupid kid? You never really forget it, that's all. Just trying to tap into those emotions is all."

"Are you-"

"Alright, cheeseburger with extra fries." The waitress interrupts, much to Alice's delight, and sets a plate in front of her. "And onion rings, deluxe burger and fries." She places the second plate in front of FP and he thanks her with a sweet smile.

"Looks so good." Alice comments, mouth practically watering already at the sight of the delightfully greasy food.

"It does, nothing like some cheesy diner food to hit the spot." FP agrees, popping an onion ring into his mouth as he studies the blonde woman across from him, so familiar yet so much a mystery to him. "Seriously though, Alice, if you ever want to talk, even if it is about a silly high school age relationship, I'm all ears. I know from experience that keeping everything in can be really damaging."

"You know the same goes for you right?" Alice points out. "How are you doing anyway? You didn't mention if you got in contact with Gladys or her sister."

"We're sort of playing phone tag at the moment, with her work schedule and the tour, it's just hard to catch each other at the right time."

"That's a good sign that she's trying to call you back though, that's progress."

"Her sister was always pretty fond of me, we always got along really well, she's kinda my only hope right now." He swallows. "Well, unless I get a lawyer involved, but like I told you, I don't want to do that to June."

"Unfortunately, you may not have a choice if Gladys' sister doesn't come through."

"I just don't get why this has to be so hard? Why can't things just be simple for once?" He sighs and shakes his head. "Let's talk about something else, keep me from spiralling." He feigns a laugh but she can tell he means it.

"Wanna play I spy?" Alice comes up with off the top of her head.

The corner of his mouth twitches. "I spy?"

She laughs. "I don't know it was the first thing that came to my mind, you look sad, give me a break."

He smiles at her, a warm genuine smile, that makes her cheeks warm. "I'm really glad we're getting to know each other," He says. "I needed this."

"Me too," She admits, fighting off a blush, and picks up her glass to toast. "To the start of a great friendship."