Every Other Weekend

"Hey you," Alice whispers, finding FP staring out the bus window solemnly. "How are you doing?"

"I've been better." He admits, gesturing to the seat across from him. "I'm glad she came to visit but I hate how short of a time I had with her."

"I get it," Alice assures him. "But look at it this way, the fact that she was able to come here in the first place is a good thing, and it means she'll probably be back soon."

"I know, I just wish wish Gladys would let her come along with us for a bit. Even a week, just something so I don't feel like I'm missing out."

It's then that Alice notices the little stuffed bunny in his hands. "She's a sweet kid, so much like you."

"You think?"

"Absolutely. She's so lively and happy, and boy is she funny. The amount of knock knock jokes she told me while she was here-"

"They were kind of our thing," He chuckles. "We had a book of them at home that we liked to read. Drove Gladys nuts but June loved it."

"You're a good dad." Alice tells him, taking his hand in hers so he looks at her. "You're such a good dad, and I know you've been doubting that recently but that girl worships you, you're her hero."

He smiles softly at her and strokes his thumb against her knuckles. "Thanks Alice."

They sit in silence for a moment before FP speaks again. "How tired are you?"

She shrugs. "Why? What's on your mind?"

"I think I have an idea for a song."

<>

"Thank you, thank you!" FP calls out over the audience's loud cheers and applause. "I always love playing here."

He picks up his guitar before dragging a stool to the mic stand, causing the band to look at each other with pure confusion.

"My daughter was just at our show a couple of days ago, and to any of my fellow divorced parents, you know the pain of not seeing your child every day like you once did." He begins. "So while you're with them you try and soak up every single second you can, every smile, every laugh, every single crazy thought they come up with. And when they leave it's like a part of you leaves with them, and while you know they're in good hands, you can't help but wish they never had to go."

He sighs and gently plucks some strings on his guitar, testing the tuning. "I've recently rediscovered just how much writing can heal, and that's all thanks to Alice here." He gestures for the woman to come join him, and she does so, even when she's just as unsure as everyone else what FP is doing. "She's helped me a lot during this time, she's become my right hand man when it comes to music, and a shoulder to cry on when I need it, and together we created a beautiful little song that I want to play for all of you tonight."

Alice's eyes nearly bulge out of her head at his words. They had written the song on the ride from one city to the next, nothing but the moonlight around them. And sure the song was finished in the technical sense, but was it ready to be sang for a crowd? Alice wasn't so sure.

"Are you sure about this?" Alice whispers to him, covering the microphone with her hand so the crowd doesn't hear.

He just shoots a smile her way. "Positive. Just trust me."