Paparazzi

"In... and out... in... and out." A robotic sounding woman's voice repeats over and over. When browsing through a cute little bookstore, Alice had come across a self help book, accompanied by a dusty old tape claiming to help calm even the most anxious, and had promptly scooped it up. If it helped even a little bit, she would be content.

Truth is, the overwhelming pressure of the spotlight was starting to creep up on her. She was in the public eye even more now thanks to FP's Grammy speech, and while she knew that was a given when she embarked on this journey with him, she hadn't quite expected this much fanfare.

When her breathing slowly regulates and her pulse stops trying to escape her body, she switches the tape off, her ears ringing from the sudden silence in the room.

She closes her eyes for a brief moment, telling herself everything is okay, and then someone knocks on her door and she just about jumps out of her skin.

The panic is only soothed when she hears the voice that accompanies it; FP. Her body immediately relaxes at the sound of his low timbre and she lifts herself up from the floor to greet him.

"Hey," she smiles when she opens the door. "What's up?"

"Well I was just about to go for a coffee run before soundcheck, was gonna see if you wanted to keep me company?" He proposes. "If you're busy though, don't worry about it."

"I'm not busy!" She insists. "Coffee sounds great."

<>

"You got it?" FP chuckles as he passes her a tray full of coffee cups and her hands wobble even as she nods. "Thank you." FP smiles as the barista who helped them, and sticks a bill in the tip jar.

"You know the idea of walking here was fine and all until I realized we're going to have to walk back with all of these coffee's." Alice groans.

"I believe in you," FP chuckles again. "Want me to take one?"

"Oh no, I got this." Alice insists, stubbornly holding the trays steadier.

"FP!" A voice calls from behind them. "FP Jones!"

It happens so fast, one voice is quickly accompanied by multiple and soon they're being swarmed by a bunch of paparazzi sticking cameras in their faces and blinding them with the flash.

"Are you two on a date?" One asks.

"Where are you going right now?" Another chimes in.

"Sorry guys we're sort of in a rush, another time." FP says, trying to maneuver he and Alice through the crowd.

"Do you have any more songs written together? Can we expect another impromptu performance?"

"Well it wouldn't be impromptu if I told you about it, now would it?" FP charmingly smirks, still trying to escape the mob.

"Can you tell us more about how the two of you met? What made you decide to tour together?"

"Well-" FP is about to give some half ass answer before a paparazzi knocks hard into Alice, causing the coffee tray she had a hold of to tumble to the ground.

She stumbles from the force of the unintentional bump and FP uses the distraction to curl his arm around her and escape down the nearby alley, leaving the nosy group in their wake.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to drop the tray, he just-" Alice begins to apologize but FP quickly shushes her.

"It's not your fault, they were swarming you. We can buy more coffee." He assures her, suddenly noticing the sheer panic in her tear stained blue eyes. "Alice, are you okay?"

She begins to nod, trying to force a smile but it quickly crumbles and she shakes her head, clutching her chest as if seeking oxygen.

"Okay, okay, breathe." FP tells her calmly, immediately jumping into action. "Let's just sit down okay?" He moves with her as she folds into herself when she hits the ground, sobs violently wracking her body.

His arm curls around her, holding her tightly in his grip so she feels safe, and he whispers breathing exercises to her, things he had learned over the years.

"I'm okay," Alice insists. "I'm-"

"No you're not," FP tells her, holding her a little tighter. "You're not and that's okay, just breathe, I've got you."

Her body shakes as she leans further into him, clenching her fists as she tries to ground herself. FP rubs her arm as he soothes her, matching his breathing to her own.

"I'm sorry." She squeaks. "That was all just so-"

"Overwhelming?" FP finishes for her. "Don't apologize, they have no boundaries, it's only natural you would get a little spooked."

"I knew this was a factor to fame, I guess I just didn't expect how frightening it could be." She explains, and yet he can tell there's something she's not saying.

"It takes some getting used to." FP agrees. "I'm sorry, I probably should've taken us the back way, everyone knows we're in town today there's eyes everywhere."

"It's not your fault. I'm just being dramatic." Alice smiles at him. "I'm just not used to this is all."

"You're not being dramatic." FP assures her. "You feeling better now?"

"Yeah, I'm okay."

"Good." FP flashes her a smile. "So next time we head out on the town should we get some disguises?"

Alice laughs. "Disguises?"

"Yeah, like big floppy hats, sunglasses and maybe a fake moustache." FP pitches, making Alice laugh harder.

"Something tells me a moustache won't suit me." Alice decides. "However I would love to see you in a big floppy hat, very real housewives of you."

"Well if this whole music thing doesn't work out that's my fallback option."

"Come on," Alice says, sticking her hand out to him. "Let's get out of here."

FP doesn't move, instead looks at her with such sincere concern. "You're sure you're okay?"

"I am now." She insists. "Thank you."

He grins. "Any time."