Here in my Arms

His talk with Fred had gone much better than anticipated. Not to discredit the man, but FP had expected a bit more yelling.

Instead, they had a lengthy conversation about his newly blossomed relationship with Alice.

It almost seems ridiculous to be justifying such a thing at his age, he's a grown man, surely he should be able to make his own romantic decisions.

But if Fred wanted to share his piece, well FP just has too much respect for the man not to let him.

They end up leaving the room feeling closer than before — Fred still a little weary of the relationship but unable to deny the glowing presence of his friend.

"There you two are, we were starting to worry." Mary says as the men walk into the common room.

"We're just fine." Fred promises, pressing a kiss to her hair.

FP surprises both Mary and Alice by sitting next to the blonde and curling his arm around her shoulder without hesitation.

She begins to protest, face turning red when she locks eyes on Fred. "FP-"

"He knows." FP answers simply, smirking at her. "I told him, our dirty little secret is out."

"Wait you told him?" Mary questions. "I take it this conversation went well then?" She directs the question to her husband who nods curtly, taking a sip from her coffee.

"It went fine." He answers simply. "And I mean, look at them? How can I be upset?"

Mary smiles over at the lovesick couple, cuddled sweetly together as they twine fingers. "They are pretty cute together aren't they?"

Fred hushes his voice, so only Mary can hear him. "Just... keep me in the loop here alright? I don't think he'll tell me if anything goes south but I think Alice would tell you."

"Nothing is going to go south, hon. They're good for each other."

"I know, and I think you're right, but just... if."

"If." Mary agrees.

"I just can't see him like that again, it was terrifying." Fred's expression goes cold and Mary reaches for his hand, squeezing it tight.

"I know. But I think it's different with her... or rather, I know it's different. And I can't explain to you how I know that but just trust me when I say she'd never do anything to hurt him."

"I do think you and I need to talk though," Fred begins. "I can't believe you let me argue with that poor receptionist meanwhile you were the one who switched the reservation."

Mary blushes a fiery shade of red. "Well they hadn't told you yet, and I wasn't going to out them to you."

"So you sneakily change the reservations?" Fred smirks. "Were you two in on this?"

FP and Alice look up with doe eyes. "It was as much of a surprise to us as it was to you."

"You just married a sneaky lady." Alice teases.

"Very sneaky apparently." Fred chuckles, curling his arm around Mary.

<>

He could get used to this.

So could she.

Being able to wrap themselves in one another after a long day? It's Heaven.

After the concert, they had climbed into a steaming hot shower together, letting the water loosen their stiff and sore muscles.

It's a new level of intimacy, there's nothing sexual about it, just two people with great affection for one another revelling in the closeness.

FP had washed her hair with tender fingers, sharing a laugh as the suds fell into her eyes and she swatted at his wet chest.

Now, FP's hands trace her back from their place underneath her t-shirt, while she's resting her head on his chest, listening to his heart beat, and smiling at the vibration on her cheek every time he talks.

"You know, when June finds out about us she's gonna lose her little mind." FP says, smiling at the thought.

Alice quirks an eyebrow. "In a good or bad way?"

"Are you kidding? This is the kid who woke up every morning to sit and play guitar with you, she's gonna be stoked."

Alice smiles at that and hugs him a little tighter. "I'm glad she seemed to like me, makes this a lot easier. I wouldn't want to come between the two of you."

"Honestly? June's adoration of you is what helped me realize how I felt." He admits.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. I mean, I knew eventually I was going to meet somebody, but if there was any discomfort or disdain on either end, it would be an immediate no." He explains. "I hadn't even known you that long myself, and yet she was immediately drawn to you. It just made my decision to ask you to join the tour, feel even more right."

"Seeing you with June made me fall harder for you." Alice admits. "Obviously I thought you were attractive to begin with, and we got along well, so there was never any issue there. But seeing how good of a dad you are? How much that little girl adores you and vice versa? It just made everything so clear."

"Clearly we get cheesy when we're tired." FP chuckles, hand reaching up to stroke through her hair.

"I kinda like cheesy FP." Alice giggles. "So you never fully told me, how did the talk with Fred go?"

FP sighs. "He was a little upset at first, but once I explained it all to him, once he saw how serious I am about this? He softened up." He explains, fingers still playing softly with her hair.

"You're serious about us, huh?" Alice smirks, shifting to see him better.

"She asks as she lays next to me while wearing my t-shirt." He chuckles. "But to answer your question, yes, I'm very serious."

"Good," Alice comments, catching his lips in a chaste kiss. "Because otherwise the love songs we sing might get a little awkward."