6: Lexi

We're going to do comment shoutouts again I think. Would love to see you all engaging more as it's really motivating. So big shoutout to everyone who has commented so far: jueka1 , amiva0402 and brightyeolie

_____

"While we will explore the film movements in more depth next term, I really want you all to start thinking about what your individual style is in this next multimedia product," our teacher said. "I want you to consider how you are using the codes and conventions we have been looking at the past year to create your own style."

I was glad Sara spent most of first lunch briefing me on what Film TV would be like and the teacher's style, because otherwise I would have been so out of the loop. Back in Melbourne, we were running on a slightly different curriculum in the state. After Sara gave me the run down on everything they had covered here so far, I was starting to understand what we had already done and what I would need to ask the teacher about for further study.

Nonetheless, the teacher didn't take long to finish her spiel, turning it over to us to start brainstorming project ideas while she went and sat at her desk. Sara said 'high student autonomy' was big for Mrs Clarkson—if we didn't want to do the work then it was our own problem. But she'd go to the ends of the earth to help if we just asked.

However, as I tried to focus on reading through the task sheet, my attention was cut short as a bunch of chairs from around the room suddenly scooted over to mine and Sara's desks.

"Is this going to happen every lesson?" Sara muttered to herself.

"Sorry," I whispered, just before one of the boys tried flipping me a grin.

"So... Lexi... Are you really Callie's sister?" he asked, cocking his head to the side.

"Mhmm," I replied, barely glancing at him as I turned my attention back to my work.

"You don't look alike," he commented. "I don't see how you're twins."

"Not all twins are identical, you big dummy," Sara retorted, throwing her eraser at his head.

"Hey!" he complained, rubbing his head. "That's abuse, Sara."

"Your face is an abuse, Fraser," she shot back.

Turning to Sara, a smirk spreading onto my face, I said, "You know... I'm really starting to like you."

"What's not to like?" Sara grinned back before leaning across the table and shoving Fraser's chair, sending him rolling across the room. "I suggest you two scoot now as well before I get out my ruler or scissors next and start throwing them," she said to the others.

Instantly, the other two boys began to roll their chairs away, returning to their desks.

"You're my saviour," I muttered to her.

"Was it like this back in Melbourne?"

I snorted in response, causing a raised eyebrow from Sara. I nearly began to tell her that the boys knew I'd never look at them when I was too busy staring at Mia (my girlfriend back then), but I caught myself just in time. "Um... no, definitely not," I replied, snagging my bottom lip between my teeth.

I hadn't told mum or Callie yet... not that either of them would care too much. But I wanted the dust to settle before I mentioned to them that I'm gay. I wanted Callie to stop acting like it was an offence she had to eat at the same dinner table as me before I even tried to tell her my truth. Because, the reality was, Melbourne was really progressive. No one batted an eye if you came out—in fact, most people had to announce they were straight otherwise anyone was fair game. But up in the north... too many conservative ideals still permeated the minds of people here. While most I was close to wouldn't shun me, I wasn't ready to see if other people would.