32: Callie

Oh damn... I only meant to proofread this and somehow slipped on the publish button. Oh well.

Thanks already to jueka1 

Seriously the last one...

___

Relief flooded my body knowing that Zac was kind enough to not force this on me. But, at the same time, as the relief came over me, the all-consuming guilt quickly followed. I couldn't be the reason things became awkward for him and this girl. Zac should confess in his own time, or not at all if that's what he wishes. So I said, "I'll go in if you tell me who is so important."

Eyes wide, his head snapped up, gaze meeting mine. "I-I-I—"

"I think I deserve to know that much at this rate considering what you're going to be putting me through." Nevermind, I was really curious at this point, to be honest, for some privy to school gossip.

"I can't... I—"

Rolling my eyes, I quickly said for his benefit, "I won't tell her of course."

And then he sighed. "Do you promise?" he asked, tone still a little hesitant.

I held my pinky out in response. "Cross my heart and hope to die."

Grinning, Zac slipped his pinky around mine and whispered her name to me.

"Isn't she dating—"

He nodded, face falling. "We're neighbours too, so... It would make it very awkward."

"I see..."

His eyes began to shift around, evidently feeling uncomfortable now that his secret was out there with me to keep. So, keeping my end of the bargain, I began to roll my slip down, feeling my throat go tight at the idea that everyone would see my bare stump. "You better not let me drown, Zac Hart, or I swear I'll come haunt you."

"I promise I'll hold onto you the entire time."

Heaving a sigh, I popped off my leg.

Then, with shaky fingers, began to roll down my slip, exposing my stump with all the scars from surgeries now visible for Zac to see. He was doing his best to not look down at it, but another growing awkwardness consumed me as I realised I now had to take my clothes off so that I was just in my swimmers...

Fingers playing with the hem of my shirt, I then cleared my throat and he met my gaze. Brows furrowing, he cocked his head to the side as to why I was giving him a look that said do you mind?

But then his eyes trailed down.

At once, he got to his feet and turned around, facing the creek.

Taking his averted gaze while I could, I pulled off my shirt and then shimmied out of my pants, before clearing my throat again.

Zac then faced me once more, leaning down and holding his hands out to me. As he pulled me to my foot, I could help but glance over his shoulder, looking for the familiar face.

Immediately, my eyes locked on Flynn once more. And most times that I had glanced his way, he was keeping a watchful gaze on me, this time he was not looking at my face. Instead, his focus was most clearly looking at my body.

My stomach tightened as I realised all that was out to see. And while I suppose for most girls, their heart would flutter in delight when a guy they were interested in was checking them out, a part of me—the same part who knew Flynn had no interest in her—knew that he was probably disgusted in the fact that I looked nowhere near as attractive as the other two legged girls in their bikinis. I would never compare with them around.