59: Callie

Perhaps you wanted another another?

(Me trying to make up for going AWOL)

____

"Success," I whispered as I peered through the crack in the curtain, leaving Lexi and Sara to have their private moment.

Slowly turning my head to go back to the party, the last thing I expected was to meet a pair of green eyes blinking back at me.

"Ash," I said, jumping away.

His face fell ever so slightly before he forced a grin back onto his cheeks. "Operation Get Your Sister and Bestie Back Together was a success then?"

"Based on their locked lips, I assume so."

"Great to hear," he said, face full of delight, though eyes still twinkling with pain.

"Are you okay?" I asked, concern lacing my tone.

"Never better," he said back, still forcing that grin despite the wall of despair ever so evident in his eyes. Though it was clear he wasn't going to tell me what was wrong any time soon.

Hand pressing gently on my shoulder, he began to slowly turn me around.

"Come get some pizza and a drink before everyone else eats it," he said as he began to guide me into the party.

Taking a seat next to Jackson, Ashton took the spot on the other side of me before Luke pushed the pizza box closer, giving me a grin.

To be honest, it was a little strange to be surrounded by numerous boys I had kissed before.

But, at the same time, my life felt full.

Sure, the kiss list brought me heartbreak.

But now I had way more friends out of it. And an abundance of more confidence. One day, the burden on my chest would lessen. I just had to give it time.

People slowly began to leave the party as the hours ticked on into the night, but I stayed behind.

Lex and Sara had left ages ago to head back to Sara's... we all knew why. They had a lot of making up to do...

But as Luke grabbed his jacket and keys, finally making his exit, I realised it was just me and Ashton remaining.

"Want me to drive you home, Cal?" he asked, seeming to notice as well that it was just us.

Furrowing my brows, I said back, "Is it okay if I still stay a while? I'll most likely stay at Sara's but... I really don't want to walk in on them getting hot and heated again."

Ashton let out a chuckle and then got up from the couch. "Of course." But there was something off to his tone and movements as he began to clean up the place. And he was seemingly avoiding looking me in the eyes.

I didn't question it though at first as I got to my own feet, helping him take everything out to the bin and right his living room. But once everything was in order, we both stood there, awkwardly.

"Want to... watch a movie?" he asked, already reaching for the remote as he sat back on the couch.

Joining him, I quickly moved my hand out, clasping his arm before he could turn the TV on.

He cocked a confused eyebrow at me.

"I was hoping we could talk."

His hand slowly released the remote as his eyes mulled with morose again. "Talk about what, Callie?"