23: Lexi

You're getting this tonight because I have lots of work to do on the weekend and don't think I'll get a chance to upload... but I will respond to your comments. :) 

Thanks as per usual to jueka1 , brightyeolie , and amiva0402 for your lively comments last chapter.

____

"Nice hickey," I snorted when Callie walked in the door.

"Shut up," she grumbled, fiddling with her hair to conceal the evident mark of a makeout session.

"Does this mean you finally crossed out Ashton?" Obviously she kissed someone... and I knew she went on a date with Ashton... but with Callie, you never know.

"Mhmm," she grumbled as she walked past me and towards her room.

Pausing my movie, I knew I wasn't done with this conversation. So I followed her down the hallway, immediately bounding across her room and taking a seat next to her open bag on her bed as she began to pack some clothes—we were staying at Sara's for the night.

I had been actively avoiding crossing off another on my list for many reasons—firstly because I really wanted to avoid kissing more boys than necessary if she didn't, preferring to just keep in line with her. But also, the last thing I wanted to do was kiss Ashton and ruin her chances there by confusing him. Evidently the boy was having feelings for my sister and a part of me wondered... well... if perhaps they'd date for a while.

But judging by the scowl on her face and the almost 'throwing' of her things into her bag, I pressed, "Was it that bad?"

At once, she came to a stop and sighed. "No." Her grey eyes met mine in despair before she dropped to the bed beside me. "It's was great. And I hate that I liked it."

"Why would you—"

"Because the guy is ethically a wank-stain."

"A wank-stain hey?" My brows knotted together as I tried and failed to unpack what that could mean. "I'm lost," I concluded.

And so Callie began spilling her guts to me about the whole leadup to the kiss from the past seven weeks, from the innocent, heartwarming beginnings, to the annoying moments of never getting a moment alone, to the almost kiss in the kitchen a week ago until the guy revealed he's a huge racist.

"I don't know how I never noticed," she muttered. "I was so desperate to find an ounce of kindness from him considering he hangs out with Flynn for crying out loud... But I scrolled back on his insta to Australia day and he shared this." She turned her phone, showing me the post in question.

A large flag adorned in the familiar union jack and southern cross displayed in front of me, with the words 'never was, never will be' etched over it. "Never?" I spat. "This has always been Aboriginal land. Heck, Yothu Yindi's song Treaty came out forty years ago and they still play it, calling for our stupid government to make peace with the traditional owners. Every damn year, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders campaign again for the Uluru Statement of the Heart to be acknowledged, and again, our stupid—"

"I know," Callie cut me off. "Trust me, I know. But while Ashton may be less of a toxic jerk like Fraser, he's still an absolute wank-stain."

"Complete and utter wank-stain," I agreed. "If only he had been. Then he wouldn't exist in this damn world..."

"Preach, sister." We both fell onto the bed in unison, staring up at Callie's ceiling.

She was the first to let out an exasperated sigh. "At least he's ticked off."