17: Lexi

Big thanks, as always, to amiva0402 , brightyeolie , and jueka1 for their comments last chapter!

And sorry I left you hanging at the end of the last one ;D

____

"Lexi? Lexi! Lexi, open your eyes for me."

The voice continued to call to me, a gentle shake of my body going along with it.

Eventually my eyelids turned red and I begrudgingly blinked them open to find a familiar face blocking the sun from my eyes. Hair the colour of midnight, onyx eyes, and a warm smile.

"There you go... slowly does it," he said, helping me up to a seated position.

"W-what happened?" I asked, glancing around. I was still on the road, Noah's car parked haphazardly on the middle of the road, and he was crouching beside me. "You should move that," I groaned, rubbing my throbbing head.

"You fainted, I think. One minute you were running, and the next—"

"Wait..." I shook my head, looking back into his concerned gaze once more. "How come you weren't home already?"

A light pink tinged his cheeks as he slowly removed his hand from my back, aware that I could finally keep myself steady as I righted myself. "I, ah... I knew you weren't fine when you said you were. I wasn't sure if you were sick or if there was something troubling you but... I maybe, kind of, sort of... followed you back to make sure you made it safely. I thought for sure you'd notice me but you never did..."

My brows furrowed as my gaze searched his face, trying to unpack everything he said. But lucky for him, my head panged with pain once more, distracting me from studying his expressions and reading into his actions further. My hand shot to my head.

"We should get you inside," he said, "Or maybe to a doctor?"

"I don't need a doctor," I waved my hand. "I'm probably just ill. We didn't get much sleep last night, too busy talking about the party. I just... need a shower, some more water, and then to lay down for a bit."

Pressing his lips together, he moved out of his crouching position, crossing his legs.

"But we should get off the road," I then added.

"I will get off the road if you agree to something for me," Noah countered.

"What?" I asked with a slight roll of my eyes—though I winced a little at the movement.

To my dismay, it didn't go unnoticed. Concern flickered across his face once more, but then he shook it, seeming to understand I didn't want to talk about it. "Let me buy you some breakfast."

"Breakfast?" I repeated, starting to feel convinced that maybe I had actually knocked myself out and in some messed up dream—or nightmare. Because why was I dreaming about Noah when it should be Sara, of the two?

He nodded slowly. "I think some food could help. I assume you haven't eaten yet?"

I shook my head and regretted it instantly, swaying a little.

Then Noah flashed me a grin. "Great!" Pushing himself to his feet, he held his hands out to me to help me up.

But I merely glared at them and then propped myself upright. Though as my body went vertical, my vision clouded black again for a moment, causing me to stumble. And Noah's arms shot around me again.