50: Callie

I hope you're not bored... this book is ridiculously long and I still have a bit to go. >.< 

Anyway... enjoy this chapter. *laughs in evil*

Thanks jueka and brightyeolie for comments last chapter... and amiva0402 who I'm struggling to let catch up it seems. :P

____

"Callie!" my sister shouted from down the hallway, finally in dad's room to sus out who he was hooking up with. If our parents were seeing someone, we had to know. No way was some random coming into our lives again. But, more importantly, I had to make sure whoever it was, mum wouldn't get hurt in the process by dad having his hookups in her house.

"Was that Lexi?" dad said, turning around to look down the hallway. "I thought you said she's still at—"

But Lexi screamed for me again.

Ignoring dad's pleas to stop, I took off past him towards his room.

Chair pivoting around the corner, I came to a halt as looked in, meeting her guilty gaze across the room.

Sitting on dad's bed, grey eyes turned down to her lap as Lexi and I stood (well I sat) in the doorway in disbelief, mum fiddled with a lock of her hair.

"It's not what you think," dad said from behind us.

As my eyes darted around the room noticing dad's underwear still discarded on the floor—gross, is he comando right now?, I thought—I also took in the dishevelled bed sheets, candles on the bedside table, and large bottle of... well, nevermind. 

"Oh," Lexi then said, "You always moan and groan with your clothes off while hanging a picture on the wall together?"

But mum heaved a sigh and got to her feet, evidently aware that we were not falling for dad's tales. "They're seventeen, Cory. They're old enough to know the truth... and to be able to handle it if it doesn't work out."

Lexi's arms crossed over her chest as she shook her head. "No. You both promised me you wouldn't get back together. I cannot handle you two dating and splitting up again and—"

"We're not back together," mum cut her off, tone a little bitter.

"Excuse me?" I intruded this time, waving my hand at the room that almost reeked of intimacy. "So you're just... casually having sex?"

"Basically," dad said from behind us. "But... for reasons."

"What reasons?" Lexi and I demanded at the same time.

"Can we..." mum interjected, "Can we maybe have this conversation in the living room?" She glanced around at the room, shoulders becoming a little stiff as even mum became aware of the very obvious evidence of their fornication.

Joining in mum's discomfort that we were all crowded in the room where our parents were just getting it on, Lexi and I immediately darted back out into the hallway and into the living room, as though we'd catch cooties if we stayed any longer.

Once back out there, I quickly reached for my leg again, knowing that I might need to stand for this conversation.

Lexi and I, a united front, both waved to the couch as mum and dad shuffled into the room, guiltily taking the seat in front of us.

"You promised me," was the first thing Lexi spat at mum. "You said you two wouldn't—"

Dad sighed though. "We're not quite together. Your mum is free to date whomever she wants if she wants to, just as I am."

"Sex is still being involved with each other," Lexi countered.

"Well," mum then said, voice a little high, "It was supposed to be a one off. But after we found out... we figured we may as well use each other whenever we need it."

As Lexi started to say, "One off? And how long ago was that?" I decided to ask, "Found out what?"

"Your father and I..." mum started, glancing in his direction for reassurance before continuing, "We have a complicated history. You know that when the other is struggling... we turn to each other for whatever support. Your father needed a... distraction from his grief. And I was very... lonely. Dating can be difficult in between work and looking after kids..."

"And because we've been in the same house," dad went on when mum's face had turned too crimson, "And we've just been... there... alone... while you guys are out having fun... well, one night when I was sad, we found a different way to... um... comfort each other."

Lexi was shaking her head but I narrowed my eyes.

"But what did you mean by found out?" I said, going back to mum's earlier comment.

Mum sighed and said, "Let's just say... your father and I drank a little too much that night we, er... comforted each other. We weren't... very practical. And... well..."

"Your mum is pregnant," dad blurted. 

She's WHAT?

She's WHAT?