40: Lexi

Did I hear you say 'more'?

Thanks to jueka1 and brightyeolie for comments on the last chapter

And to amiva0402 who has just about caught up.

I dumped a few too many chapters last week it seems... sorry.

Anyhoo... enjoy the sweetness while it... nevermind.

____

Turning around just in time to watch Flynn drag Callie by her chair into the room and gently close the door behind them, I couldn't stop the smile taking hold of my face. But as I walked back into the living room, mum and dad were far from impressed.

A united front, they both blocked my way, arms crossed over their chests with their best 'I'm so disappointed in you' glares masking their faces.

"We dropped you off at Sara's last night," mum started.

"You did," I said back, still trying to think of the cover story. I had never planned for them figuring out we—or, rather, Callie—had gone elsewhere once Aunt Jojo dropped us off. But mum and dad were much smarter than we had anticipated... and Callie did still smell slightly of alcohol this morning.

"But you came back from Aunt Jojo's this morning," dad said, also stating the obvious.

"Yes," I said back, still trying to figure out how to avoid a terrible situation whereby I don't get into trouble... but nor does Callie.

"And where are your clothes and bags?" mum then asked, eyes narrowed.

"At Sara's," I admitted, still keeping my eyes on them as though eye-contact would somehow suggest innocence.

"So you stayed at Sara's last night but somehow ended up at your Aunt's before ten in the morning?" dad countered.

"Yes, that is what happened."

When they realised I was only going to confirm their probing questions, dad heaved a sigh and sat on the couch, patting the spot beside him.

I knew it was a trap. He had used this method on me many times when I was caught sneaking into the house in the morning back in Melbourne after going out partying. While Jess always discussed responsible drinking with me, dad was full out against it—as though a boisterous teenage life might see us mirror his 'mistakes'. He was convinced if we didn't do the things he did, if we were studious little kids who never went out and never dated boys, then there's no chance that we could stray off the path of success... as though success was determined by one's education monetary accomplishments instead of quality of life. Dad was from an older generation.

Nonetheless, I took the spot next to him. Not long later, mum was on the other side of me, wedging me between the two.

I knew in that moment I missed Jess. Mum and dad had always been a united front on parenting me and Cal. They shared almost the same views on what we could and could not do. But Jess was more like Aunt Jojo, believing we would, in time, learn from our own mistakes. Only through trial and error without the limitations of parents would we figure out what makes us happy and what are things we shouldn't do again.

"Where did you go last night, Lex?" dad asked, voice soft, measured, but oh-so-accusing.

"I was at Sara's," I responded, tone full of truth. Because I was.

"And how about your sister?" mum then said.

Oh shit...

"She was at Sara's," I squeaked. Because she was... until she wasn't.