69: Flynn

I wonder how many chapters are left...

Here's another.

Hope you're still enjoying it.

Thanks to jueka1 who seems to be keeping up with my crazy number of uploads.

Enjoy some bittersweet Callie and Flynn

_____

The moment we had rounded the corner, out of Noah's sight, I tightened my hold on Callie to pull her to a stop.

Slowly turning her tired eyes to meet mine, she muttered a, "What?"

Moving my arm away from her, her face fell impossibly further in the absence of my touch, making my heart flutter in delight that she would long to be in my arms... even if I was just a comfort to her and nothing else.

"I'm just wondering if we should call someone to drive you. It's quite a long walk back to—"

But Callie was already shaking her head at me. "I'll be fine. I could use the walk."

Pressing my lips together, I also admitted, "I'm wary he's going to drive past us."

Heaving a sigh, she said, "Well... can we hide out at yours for a bit then? Considering it's closer?"

Eyes blowing wide, I instinctively nodded in disbelief.

But while I remained frozen in place, Callie began to walk ahead in the direction of my place.

Coming to my senses, I quickly tagged behind her.

"Is anyone home?" she asked as I slipped the key in the door.

"Charlie and Hunter generally hang out at the skatepark for a few hours after school, so it's just us." But as the meaning behind my words began to sink in, I froze, hand on the door handle, not pushing it open.

"What?" she pressed.

"Um," I said, letting go of the handle, "Maybe we should just hang out here?"

"Out the front of your house?" Callie replied, eyebrows raised.

"Yeah..." I said back, as though it were obvious.

"Where Noah could drive by and see us at any moment."

She has a point... "We could go into my back yard? It hasn't been mowed in forever but—"

"Am I not allowed inside?" she interrupted, eyes turning down in sorrow.

I opened and closed my mouth a couple of times as I processed her question. Then I quickly said, "Of course you are, but—"

"Then can't I just come in?"

Pressing my lips together, I caved to her wishes and pushed the door open. Then I took a step to the side, letting her lead the way.

With slow, measured steps, Callie sauntered into my house, looking this way and that. "It's different than I remember," she mused.

"How so?"

"Well... cleaner, for one." She gave me a sheepish smile, as though she were apologetic for her comment. Though she wasn't wrong.

"Mum's been cleaning in her sobriety," I explained.

Callie gave me a brief nod, continuing to walk down the hallway—past the kitchen, past the living room, past the bathroom... "I suppose my memory of this place is pretty hazy though. The first time I saw it, you were sneaking me in while I was drunk. Then the second time I was sneaking out with a splitting headache and hangover."