77: Callie

Warning: This is a long chapter (over 4000 words)

Also... somewhat adult content ahead. 

Didn't proofread. Will do tonight. Want to write the next chapter first.

_____

The all-consuming anxiety I kept expecting to return never did.

With Flynn's arm snaking around my waist the moment we got out of his uncle's car (now his)—an inheritance he and I were more than happy to see—I felt safe with him constantly by my side. And always a few steps away was my sister, best friend, and new friends.

Which meant, despite all the lead up, the insecurity of my leg never hit me. In fact, if it hadn't been for the rubbing that began an hour into the formal event when Flynn pulled me from my chair to dance, I probably never would have remembered that I was in fact an amputee.

For a large part of that night, I didn't let that part of me define me.

I was just Callie.

A girl with a sister.

A girl with a boy who loves her.

A girl who had almost finished her twelve years of school, but first was celebrating with her peers.

When the music switched back to another slow song and Flynn pulled me in close, I couldn't help but lean into his ear and whisper, "When are you getting me out of here?"

Shifting back slightly so that his obsidian eyes could meet mine, his brows pinched together as he asked, "Are you not having fun?"

"I'm having heaps of fun," I said back. "But also... I would love just some alone time."

"I promised I'd take you straight home after—"

"Yeah. And you can come inside the house," I said, ensuring I added the emphasis that he didn't seem to get. "And we can hang out in my room where I can finally subject you to my favourite show."

Flynn made sure I saw his eye roll before spinning me around and pulling me back to him. "I feel like this is just a plan to escape formal and hide."

"No," I said forcefully. "I really am enjoying this. It's got me surprised."

"Then why do you want to—"

"I just want to be alone with you," I said softly before extending a hand up to cup his cheek.

His face softened and we paused in dancing. Then he leaned into my hold. "Another half an hour?" he then said.

With a sigh, I said, "Fine. If you insist."

"I do insist." Then he leaned down to my ear and whispered in a low, husky voice, "I insist on seeing you dressed this beautifully for a little while longer too."

As he pulled back chuckling in anticipation of my narrowing eyes, I spat back, "What? My normal self not good enough?"

He spun me around again, not responding to my question until he had caught me once more. "Your normal self is perfect, Callie. But this..." his eyes trailed over me. "This is something I don't know if you will ever give me the privilege of seeing again. And for a moment, I'd like to feel like my girlfriend is a literal princess."

"A princess?" I scoffed.

"You look like royalty," he said with a sure nod.

And I barked a laugh before leaning close. "What do you want?" Because surely there had to be—

"Absolutely nothing," he said earnestly. "Just you. For as long as you'll have me."

As he continued to look at me warmly and tenderly, swaying me in time to the music, I knew it was time to tell him.