26: Callie

Oh no... I slipped again.

Thanks again already to jueka1 and brightyeolie

___

"So," I started as Flynn packed his books back into his bag after our tutoring session, "Who next?" I didn't normally start conversations when Flynn was getting ready to leave, but today, I wasn't ready to say goodbye just yet.

He glanced up as he pulled the zipper, eyes landing on the hickey on my neck before meeting my gaze. "You're a bit keen," was all he said back.

Sure, only a few hours had passed since mine and Lexi's stunt to get rid of Ashton, but indeed I was keen. More than eager to get this kiss list over with. I had my reasons, of course.

"Desperate to get rid of Lexi?" he then pressed when I didn't give him anything further. And while his bag was packed and he was ready to go, he stayed seated on the floor beside me, not making his usual dash out the door.

"Not exactly... I'm not minding having her around too much anymore," I said, suddenly interested in packing up my pens into my pencil case.

"Then why do you want to finish it so quickly? We have time. We should just leave—"

"Because if she completes it first, then I have to confess to Noah," I quickly blurted, though it wasn't really why I wanted to do it anymore.

On the one hand, I wanted to drag this out as long possible, but Flynn said we'd still be friends after the kiss list ended. So on the other hand, the sooner it was over and I wasn't going around kissing all these guys, then maybe he and I could...

I quickly shook the thought before I got too hopeful again.

"You've kissed three different guys now, Callie. Why not just confess to him? Is it because of Sara?" he asked, eyes searching my face.

I could feel the tightness in my throat, the words I wanted to say getting stuck as he waited expectantly. Yet rather than speaking the truth my heart was whispering to me then and there, I instead just nodded.

"Sara would understand," he said softly, seeming almost sad though.

Is he sad for me? I wondered. As though he too is worried Sara may not understand? Nonetheless, I shrugged. "It doesn't change the fact that if Lexi finishes it first, I have to confess. And I don't want to do that."

"Generally at the end of liking someone is confessing to them," Flynn said with a roll of his eyes, starting to get to his feet now.

"Well, not for me," I grumbled. But as he started walking to the door, I didn't even think before I blurted, "Are you really going already?"

He hesitated, hand on the doorknob, before craning his head to look at me. "I always go after we study."

"I know," I said. "And you always go after class. And whenever we hang out and it's not class time or study, you're sending me off to kiss another guy." As I spoke, I rolled onto my knees, using my bed to shift myself onto my foot.

Flynn let go of the door, coming over to me and grabbing my arms to steady me. "Why aren't you using your chair like you always—"

"Because I want to talk to you face-to-face," I said, voice wavering.

His brows pulled together for a moment, eyes studying me, but then the familiar Flynn grin appeared. "You're too short for us to talk face-to-face, Callie."