Joining the dwarves

"She is definitely a girl..." Kili says in a hushed voice to Fili

"You cannot be so sure on that." Fili mumbles

"How can you think so? We heard her talk."

"Aye, but my aunt was my aunt for a long time till we found out she was actually a he." Says Bofur.

I furrow my eyebrows and look behind me with an annoyed look on my face as I walked beside Gandalf's horse. Those damned Dwarves have been talking about me for a whole hour since we resolved our argument about me going. We were all still a bit on edge.

Gandalf peered down at me from under his hat.

"I wouldn't pay any mind to the dwarves they are just curious." Says Gandalf wisely. For a second I stare at him then shake my head, purse my lips, and look away, "Yeah, I know." I mumble.

I heard a low chuckle from Gandalf.

As we walked, my mind drifted off towards my father.

Oh damn, he must be really worried about me. Whatever, his hands are probably full with the two Bertha's. I know I wouldn't want to deal with them. I'd probably kill them both...

"Say, lass, do you know how to fight?" A voice asks from behind me. And that's when I realized that I was the only female in this group. What's up with that?

"Yes." I answer simply as the dwarf rides up next to me on his pony that I was the same height with.

"Oh, yeah? Did your father teach you?" He asked.

"Gloin, leave the lass alone." Balin says.

I looked behind me and wave him off, "Nah, its fine." I looked up at Gloin, "Nope my mama taught me."

Gloin looked a bit shocked but a deep chuckle was heard from in front of us, "She must be a tough woman."

Was...

I give them a fake smile and nod "Yeah, she sure is."

~~~

As we were walking, well I was, the dwarves started to throw money at each other. I started to look around in a confused manner, what did I miss? Oh yeah... I forgot about the infamous money waging part.

"What is that about?" Bilbo asked.

"Yeah." I chime in.

Gandalf glances to Bilbo and I before answering, "Oh, they took wages on whether or not you'd turn up." Bilbo sends him a shocked look, "Most of them bet that you wouldn't"

"And what did you think?" Bilbo asks.

A bag of money was suddenly thrown to Gandalf, he caught it with one hand, "I never doubted you for a second my dear boy." Gandalf chuckles.

While we were walking, Gandalf glances down at me, "P."

I jump some as he pulls me out of my thoughts.

"Are you alright?" He asks,

I furrow my eyebrows up at him, "Perfectly fine."

"No, we need to stop." Bilbo mumbles, "Wait, wait, stop!" He calls as he holds his hand up to stop them.

Everyone stops and looks over at the panicking hobbit.

"What on earth is the matter, Bilbo?" Gandalf asks.

"Forgot my handkerchief..." Bilbo says.

I roll my eyes at that.

"Here." Bofur says and tosses a piece of green dirty cloth Bilbo's way.

I watch as Bilbo catches it, after examining it, He gives a slight disgusted look back up at Bofur.

"Move on!" Thorin commands and we started walking again.

~~~~~

"Are you sure you don't want to use my pony?" Kili asks as he rides up.

"Yeah, a lady such as yourself shouldn't have to walk." Fili, his blonde haired brother says, riding up next to me on the other side.

I roll my eyes at them, "I'm fine walking."

Kili and Fili share a look then they glance back down at me, "Are you sure, my lady?" Kili asks.

"Night fall is coming soon and there will be swarms of Orcs." Fili comments.

I roll my eyes again, "Oh no, then I guess I should ride with you two handsome princes that can protect me..." I say sarcastically.

"Sure we will." Fili says and goes to grab my shoulder.

I smack his hand away, "Not on your life, sport."

They furrow there eyebrows at that.

"Leave her be, Fili and Kili." Thorin calls back to them.

I smirk, "You are in trouble." I say dragging out the last word.

~~~

Saying that I could keep up with the company on foot while they rode horses would be a lie. My legs hurt worse than when I did that 10k with my mom. I mean we had to have rode or walked a couple miles, at least. Also, how could anyone sleep around here with that damned overweight dwarf snoring ridiculously loud? I mean this place was miserable. The ground was cold and hard. The dwarves smelled and were loud. And there were some creature making a shit load of noise on the other hill side.

I let out a groan of irritation as I glare at the Dwarf. I watch as he breathes in a swarm of flies and breathes them out.

Bilbo and I share an irritated look.

"I wish he would be quieter." I grumbled while getting to my feet.

Bilbo shakes his head, "I know what you mean." He says before walking over to his pony.

I walk over to the brothers who resided in the small little cave carved out from the mountain side, "Hey guys." I breathe as I sit next to Kili. They give me nods of acknowledgment.

That creature makes another loud noise making me jump, "Are you frightened?" Kili asks.

I glare at him while he smirks, "Nope." I mumble and cross my arms, "I just wish it would be quieter..."

Fili chuckles at me.

"W-What was that?" Bilbo asks, hastily walking over to Kili and Fili.

"Orcs..." Kili says looking around.

"Orcs?" Bilbo asks, nervously.

Thorin jolted awake from the corner of my eye.

"Throat cutters." Says Fili, with a pipe to his mouth, "There'll be dozens of them out there." He says.

"Right..." I say sarcastically and roll my eyes.

"They strike, in the wee small hours when everyone's asleep." Says Kili, trying to scare everyone, "Real quiet, no screams, just lots of blood." He leans in close to my ear as Bilbo looks over in the distance a bit frightened.

"Boy, I will-" I start but I'm cut off my Thorin.

"You think a night raid by orc is a joke?" He says as he stands to his feet.

"We didn't mean anything by it..." Kili says, looking a bit guilty.

"You know nothing of the world." Thorin spits before stalking off.

"Well..." I mumble under my breath.

Balin, an older dwarve walks over and puts his arms against the mountain side, leaning against it, "Don't mind him laddie, Thorin has more cause then most to hate Orcs..."

I look over at Thorin who is majestically looking over the distance and roll my eyes at the story I've heard more times than I can count.

Well, I guess I'll be travelling with the dwarves...