The Ugliest Trait

Cana felt the tips of her fingers chill as she gripped onto the fridge door.

This was a rare feeling for her. Usually, the thrill of opening the fridge and choosing her drink for breakfast sent tingles down her spine, immediately waking her up for the day.

But right now, it just didn't feel right.

"Excuse me," She flinched when she felt someone's warm hand on her bare waist, but sighed when she recognized his voice.

"...What are you doing up so early?" She muttered, her throat still a little raspy from the early morning air.

"I was just about to ask you that. Come back to bed."

"I'm thirsty."

"Then get something to drink and stop staring at the refrigerator door. Or scoot your fat ass over, I'm trying to get some water."

"Shut up, Loke," She shoved him back and grabbed two water bottles from the fridge, tossing him one before going to the living room.

"What? No alcohol this morning?"

"I said shut up. Be glad I'm not charging you for that water."

"Stop being bitchy," Loke followed her into the living room and watched as she slunk onto the couch. She took up most of the space on the small furniture, so he sat on its arm and ran his fingers through her hair.

After a few quiet seconds, Cana took a big swing of her water and sighed, "I haven't been feeling too good lately."

"I've noticed. This is the most you've wanted to see me since senior year. What is it?"

"What do you think?"

"...Oh. Lucy?"

She nodded and huffed, "I feel like shit. It's all my fault."

"No it's not. They made their own mistakes-"

"Lucy didn't wanna go to that damn party, and I dragged her with me. And then I gave her beers, when she tried to warn me that she wasn't used to alcohol. I'm a shit friend, and now she's gotta go through all of this because I couldn't look out for her."

"Cana..." Loke used his hold on her to pull her head to lay on his bare chest, "I understand you feel guilty, but you know Lucy doesn't blame you. Sure, maybe it would've helped had you done things differently, but at the end of the day, she could've chosen not to drink what you gave her. Besides, accidents happen, stop working yourself up."

She's not one to talk about her feelings, especially not with Loke, but with her laying on him like this- both of them barely clothed- Cana felt extra vulnerable. "...It's not just about her being pregnant. It's who she got pregnant with, too."

"Oh, right, ugh," Loke scoffed, "Natsu."

"Mhm... He's one of my closest friends... At first it was cute, I wanted to help them get along, but the way they look at each other... it's just... ugh. I never expected it'd take a turn like this, I mean, of course it was a possibility, but..."

"Well I think she could do so much better than him."

"Jealousy is the ugliest trait, you know."

"Look who's talking."

She hated being called out like that, but he was right; She had no room to talk. "At least I'm being supportive."

"But it's eating you up inside, isn't it? Have you told either of them?"

"They have a lot to deal with right now, why the fuck would I just drop a bomb like that? I don't wanna make this situation about myself."