Ch-22 Awkwardness between 'us'

Agastya

"Hye, stop crying. You're mom will be here soon." I hushed to my nine year old cousin who is crying from last half an hour as he realized that his mom is not here.

Now I am getting headache all by his none stop crying. I can't do this anymore. And then door bell rang. My saviour is here. "Look your mom is here stop crying." I said while wipping his tears with the back of hands.

"She's here?" He asked while looking at me with tears filled in his eyes and I nodded. "You stay here and I will bring her here." He shook his head obediently. I know it's not his mom at the door but to stop him crying I have to lie.

With the hope that someone will be here to help me in babysitting, I open the door to find the most unexpected person standing in front of him. We have not talked to each other for one week now. After that incident things become very awkward between us.

How can I be so drunk to kiss her in front of all those people for fucking five minutes? "Ahh.. Where is Yashvi?" She asked awkwardly. I know she was not expecting me to open the door. "She is not at home." I said while rubbing the back of my neck awkwardly. Things were never become this awkward between us. We were usually bickering with each other and that one incident had changed everything between us. Why the hell I am using 'us' for me and Sara? We are not 'us' and we can never be.

"Actually, she forget her phone in my bag. So I came here to return it. It's sunday tomorrow and we will be meeting directly on Monday. So I.. "

"It's ok you don't have to explain everything. I will give it to her." I said while forwarding my hand and she handover the phone to me, meanwhile our hands brushing with each other which made situation more awkward. "Mumma..." Veer shouted while running towards us.

Sara and Veer both looked at each other in confusion. "Where is my mumma?" He asked to me. "She is gone to bought some chocolates for you. You want chocolates, right?" I tried to lure him.

"No I want my mumma now." And he started crying. "Who is he and where is his mother?" Sara who standing quiet this whole time asked. "He is my cousin. Actually my maternal grandma is on her death bed, so my mom and his mom has gone to spend some time with her. And they will stay there atleast for two days." I explained to her.

"So you have to babysit him?" She asked and I nodded. "Veer look I told you, your mom is gone to bought chocolates for you. Stop crying otherwise I will eat all your chocolates." I tried to stop him crying.

"I want mumma." He sniffed. "Don't give him false hope. It will break his heart when he will know the reality." The person who is standing behind me said. I shoot her a glare, here I am trying to calm him down while she is spoiling everything, uttering nonsense in front of him.

"If you can't help anyone then stop making things difficult for them." I whisper yelled at her. "Who said I can't help?" She snap with raised eyebrows. "Move aside, let me talk to him." She added. "Ok but don't get mad if he says anything to you. He is just a kid." I warned her.

"Move aside." She said and I give her way. She bend down on her knees and come face to face to veer. "Hye kid." She said softly while grabbing his attention. "I am not a kid. I am nine year." He said in between his cries. Kids these days have so much ego. "Ok what is the name of this nine years old?" She asked while wipping his tears with her soft hands. She knew his name but still she asked to start a conversation,impressive. "Veer" He sniff.

"Hello Veer. I am Sara." She introduced herself while holding his small hand her hands. "Do you love your mumma?" She asked and he nodded.

"Do you know that your mumma also love her mumma." She asked again which was more like a statement. "You are such an intelligent boy. You know everything. Then you must also know that your grandma is away from your mumma forever. And because of that she is very sad. If she will get to know that are crying here that will make her more sad." As she was explaining, he was looking at her with so much attention that he forgot to blink his eyes.

So I am not alone who get at lost in her eyes when she speaks. She carries some magic in her eyes which no one can deny.

"You just have stay here for two days without your mom while she can spend some quality time with her mom. Can you do that for that for your mumma without crying?" She asked again while caressing his hairs gently.

"But I am missing her." He pouted while making a puppy face which made Sara and me smile. "Ok we can do one thing. I'll make a vedio call to your mumma and after that you'll get a pizza." She offer him. "Really!?" He chirped excitedly, she nodded.

Sara turned to look at me. "Call?" I nodded and took out my phone from my pocket, handover to Veer before vedio calling to my aunty.

As he got the phone, he hurriedly moved towards my room to talk to his mom. "I never knew that you can handle kids so easily." I said while making her look at me. "I got these skills from someone." She said while looking everywhere but me. "Someone?" I asked in confusion.

"My Dad" I softly said while looking down at her feet. "He used to love kids specially me." She said and I know she is sad while talking about her dad as her voice cracked while speaking. "I remember you were very annoying as a kid and you are still the same annoying. Keeping the consistency. Huh!" I tried to crack a joke to lighten her mood and I got success when I heard her chuckle. I am sure she must remembering her childhood incidents.

"But you were more annoying than me." This time she looked at me. "I know I was annoying but only for you." I saw her cheeks were turned pink and caught her off guard, but soon I realized what I just said which made our situation more awkward again.

"Let me order the pizza." I said to change the topic. "Why order? We can make it at home." She snap. "I don't know how to make pizza." I told her. "I do know."

"Are you sure? You know we can order it will not take much time." I tried to stop her from setting my mom's kitchen on fire. "I told you I can make it." She said while walking towards the kitchen.

I come in front of her to stop her from taking any further steps. "Sara look, my mom loves her kitchen very much. If anything happens to it, I don't know what she will make me do." I warned her. "Don't worry nothing will happen and even if anything happens then she will punish me not you." She said while entering into the kitchen.

"You don't know her. She is my mom, she will treat you like 'it's ok darling, you must be learning it happens while learning.' And the moment you will left after that cute creature will turn into monster for me 'I am sure you have forced her to cook. I know how much you fight with her.' And after that she will make me clean all the kitchen. So please don't cook." I almost beg her and in between I mimic my mom's dialogue.

She tried hard not to laugh at my mimicry while biting her lower lip but a small smile made a place on her lips while forming a dimple on her right cheek. I wish I could touch it.

"You so dramatic. You know nobody can force me to do anything." She said while leaning against the kitchen counter. "Fine do whatever you wanted to." I surrendered while praying to my ancestors for the safety of the kitchen.

Preview:- In that case, I am ready to take full responsibility of it.

Hello everyone, hope you like this chapter like other ones, let me know your views about the chapter and the new cover of the book.