Part 1

Two men drinking in a bar, the start to the perfect joke; Alaric Saltzman and Damon Salvatore each sat at the bar with a glass tumbler of bourbon in their hands, discussing the latest troubles with finding Damon's brother Stefan.

"Last I heard he was in Chicago," Damon said as he took a small sip from his bourbon.

Alaric pepped up, "Have you told Elena?"

Damon shook his head.

Across the Mystic grill the door chimed as it opened and two young women walked through. They looked around for an empty table and found a booth close to the bar, the oldest one waved to a waiter who nodded to let them know that he had seen them.

"Are you crazy, don't you think she would want to know?" Alaric chided Damon.

At the sound of Alaric's voice the youngest woman's head popped up from her menu and looked in the direction she heard it coming from, as soon as she spotted the all too familiar face she stood and headed to its owner.

"Alaric?" She asked.

Alaric turned at the sound of his name to see someone he never thought he would see again, someone who he thought of as a niece, regardless of the lack of actual relation.

"Emma!" He said excitedly and stood to embrace her, "What the hell are you doing in Mystic Falls."

"I just moved here."

Damon cleared his throat behind them, he wasn't a fan of being left out of the loop of any conversation.

Alaric rolled his eyes, "Emma, this is my, friend, Damon."

Emma looked around Alaric to wave to Damon, but was caught of guard by his ice blue eyes. She gave him a quick wave and turned her attention back to Alaric.

"So this is where your search has landed you? What's so special about Mystic Falls?"

"More than you know," Damon commented behind Alaric, which earned him a pointed look from his friend.

"I've stopped looking Emma. Isobel is gone, it's time for everyone to just move on."

Emma nodded.

"I can't wait to see your parents, where are they," Alaric asked as he started searching the bar for familiar faces.

"Umm," Emma's face fell, "it's just Katie and me now."

Alaric stopped searching when he confirmed that it was just Katie sitting at a table alone and waiting on her sister to return, he gave Katie a small smile and nod which she returned.

"We can talk about it later Em, I'm just happy to see you."

"Me too," she said before hugging Alaric again, "I better get back to Katie before she gets hangry."

"No one wants that," Alaric laughed lightly.

Emma looked around Alaric again to Damon and gave him a small smile, "It was nice to meet you Damon."

"I look forward to seeing you again Emma," Damon smirked.

Emma started walking back over to the table she was sharing with her sister. Damon watched her back as her loose dark red curls bounced from side to side while she moved with an odd amount of grace for a human.

"Don't even think about it you dick," Alaric warned.

"What," Damon feigned shock at the accusation that he was showing any interest in Alaric's friend.

"First of all, she is like family to me."

"So is Elena and you are fine with her and Stefan," Damon pointed out.