Part 29

As Emma was reading a chapter from physics book and taking notes she heard a loud bang downstairs. Her head snapped up and she closed her book, she ran down the stairs towards the cellar and was shocked to see Stefan and Alaric fighting, Alaric was bleeding and egging Stefan on.

"If you want the answers from my darkest side, you're gonna have to tap into yours. So, don't back down, don't fight it. Just do it. Do it!" Alaric yelled.

He rushed up to Stefan and grabbed him, unable to control his urge anymore Stefan's veins began to show and his fangs started to protrude, he threw Alaric up against the brick wall. Alaric fell down and began laughing.

"You're so weak," Alaric said as he stood up, "look at you, one of nature's most hideous creatures and you can't even get that right."

"Guess we finally got who we were looking for," Emma stepped into the cell.

"Yup," Alaric grinned.

"Where is the stake Alaric?" Emma demanded.

"You're worse than I ever was," Alaric mocked her, "hell, you even fell in love with the enemy."

"Where is the stake," this time it was Stefan who demanded an answer, when Alaric didn't answer he sped over and put him in a choke hold, "I'm going to kill you in three...two...one..."

"It's in the cave," Alaric said quickly, "where no vampire can get it."

Stefan threw Alaric to the ground and grabbed Emma's hand, he sped them both outside and closed the cellar door behind him, locking it.

"A Phoenix can though," Emma smirked at Alaric's alter ego.

"Scary Mary, really old and super creepy," Damon said as he and Elena walked through the house Rose's sire was supposed to live.

"How do you know her?" Elena asked.

Damon shrugged, "I dated her."

"Of course."

"I said creepy, not ugly," Damon defended himself.

A loud bang from another room silenced both of them. Damon led the way as they pressed into the house nearer to where they had heard the noise. He opened the door and entered the room where he thought the noise had come from. In front of him was a staked and desiccated vampire.

"Mary," Damon sighed.

Suddenly the lights clicked on and Kol was standing in the middle of the room.

"Quite contrary," he smirked, "shame about Mary, she used to be a blast. She was a bit of an Original groupie."

"And you were her favorite?" Elena guessed.

"You mean, did I turn her?" Kol pretended to forget, "I think I did. But no, wait, maybe it was Rebekah. There was also a Klaus period. And let's not forget the Elijah affair. I spoke to my brother, I know you're trying to find out who you descended from. Now you never will. So, where did we leave off?"

Kol swung the bat and struck Damon's leg, knocking him over.

"Elena, get out of here," he commanded her.

Elena ran for the door but Kol blocked her, "According to my brother, you're off limits, please don't test me."

He pushed Elena to the ground and out of the way before Damon got to him tried to take him down, but Kol was steady on his feet.

"I just want us to be even. You snapped my neck, you killed my brother, and then you humiliated me" Kol knocked Damon back and then began hitting him with the bat repeatedly until it broke, "there, now we're even."

Kol sped out of the house, leaving a broken Damon and a scared Elena behind in his wake.

Elena crawled over to Damon as he was sitting up, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," Damon said before he popped his shoulder back into its socket, "ugh, that's better."

Damon looked up at Elena and saw that she was bleeding slightly, "Are you all right?"

Elena nodded, "Yeah, I'll be fine."

Damon moved Elena's hair gently to get a better look at her wound. Elena stole the opportunity and leaned in, pressing her lips against Damon's. He pushed her away.

"What are you doing?"

Elena looked down, "What do you mean?"

"This trip, kissing me, what the hell do you want Elena?"

"Stefan thinks I have feelings for you," Elena confessed.

"I gathered that much on my own," Damon scowled, "did you think this trip was going to help you figure it all out?"

"No."

"Maybe you were hoping I would screw up so I could make the decision for you, am I wrong?"

"Damon-"

"Am I wrong?" Damon demanded an answer.

"It's what you do Damon, you sabotage things. Think about it, anytime there is a bump in the road, you lash out. Emma left and you jumped into bed with Rebekah."

"Nope," Damon stood up mad, "leave Emma out of this Elena."

"Am I wrong?" She challenged.

"There was a time I would have done anything for you, I could have loved you so entirely that my heart would have burst," Damon looked down, "I am a better man than when I first came back to Mystic Falls, and yes, I have you to thank for some of that. But Emma, she loves me as I am, she trust me entirely. Even when I screw up, she is there. You have walked away, every single time."

"That's not fair," Elena finally stood up.

"It's Emma, Elena," Damon said quietly, "it is always going to be Emma. I will always chose Emma."

Stefan and Emma headed upstairs, Stefan was looking down at his phone and texting with Damon when he bumped into Emma's back when she suddenly stopped walking. He looked up confused at first until he saw Klaus and Rebekah standing in the foyer.

"That wasn't too hard, was it?" Klaus grinned.

Rebekah sped down the stairs to the cellar and came back up with Alaric in tow.

"I'm going to take him to the caves," Rebekah pulled Alaric along, "you're going to go inside and fetch me that stake, and if you think you're going to hide, you're wrong."

"Why not take me?" Emma asked, "I'm just as capable of getting the stake."

"I'd rather not play with fire," Rebekah cocked her head to the side and smirked before she left with Alaric.

Klaus poured a drink and stepped closer to Emma and Stefan, "I know about your brother's little mission to Denver. He failed, not that that's new."

"So what are you going to do now Klaus kill me?" Stefan asked.

"I haven't actually decided yet," Klaus sat down on one of the couches.

"Aww, sure you have. See you've had every chance and every excuse imaginable to do it, but yet you haven't," Stefan challenged him, "which means you don't want to."

"You know something, you're right. You see, I'm still waiting for my old friend to come back. By the looks of it, he's just beneath the surface. Waiting to come out and play. Isn't that right, Ripper?" Klaus looked at Emma, "You remember the Ripper don't you Emma?"

Emma glared at Klaus but didn't say anything.

"I've been fighting that part of myself, thinking that if I repressed it then it would go away. But it won't. And now that I've accepted it, it can't control me," Stefan crossed his arms, "and neither can you. So, unless you're gonna stake me, why don't you get the hell out of my house?"

Stefan walked out of the room and Emma followed him closely, not wanting to be left alone with Klaus.