Part 21

"You're arresting him for what this nut job Dr. Fell says?" Damon asked Sheriff Forbes in shock.

Emma twirled the ring on the finger, overly conscience to its existence, fidgeting with it had become a new tick she had developed when she felt anxious. Her anxiety peaked this morning when Damon told her that Sheriff Forbes had called him and told him that she was holding Alaric on possible murder charges. She began considering calling Dean to come back up to Virginia to help them deal with the situation, but he was more helpful in Kansas where he could find more information for her. She was beginning to fell like the Phoenix was never at bay, like since it had emerged to save her, she was always one step away from a full power surge.

"No, I'm detaining him," Sheriff Forbes turned to Alaric, "the cell is for your own good, you were shot; Dr. Fell used vampire blood to heal you."

"Dr. Fell is the one who shot me!" Alaric argued.

While Emma had been gone she had missed a lot; Alaric was dating a doctor, who turned out to be a total psychopath, he was stabbed, and there was a serial killer on the loose in Mystic Falls.

"Because you came at her with a knife!" Sheriff Forbes argued back.

Alaric scoffed, "Yeah, a knife I found hidden in her things."

"Are we going to ignore the part where he is one of the killer's victims?" Damon pointed out, "I mean, the guy was practically stabbed to death."

Sheriff Forbes shook her head, "Well, Dr. Fell suggested the wounds could have been self inflicted."

Alaric threw his hands up in disbelief, "You think I stabbed myself?"

"Look, I think I don't know what to think," Sheriff Forbes defended her actions, "I've got nothing, except murder weapons from your stash and a respected member of a founding family pointing a very long finger."

"She is setting me up," Alaric defended, "I'm being set up!"

"Well, that may be so but we don't have any proof of that," Sheriff Forbes pointed out.

"Then we will find some," Damon suggested.

"No, just stay out of this Damon," Sheriff Forbes crossed her arms, "you getting involved is only going to make matters worse."

"Listen Liz-" Damon tried to reason with her.

Sheriff Forbes put her foot down on the subject, "Don't make me put you in that cell with him!"

Damon took a step back and looked over to Emma, who had been quiet throughout the conversation, "Em, you good?"

Emma looked up and gave him a soft smile before she nodded, she held out a hand and he took it before leading her out of the police station. He started to head over to his car but Emma pulled in the opposite direction.

"Where do you think you're going?" Damon asked.

"I want to see who the hell this Fell woman is," Emma answered as if it were obvious.

"Something tells me that would be a bad idea."

"You're not seriously going to stay out of it like the sheriff asked?"

"Seems like just as good a plan as any," Damon shrugged.

"Well, I'm not," Emma started to walk towards the hospital.

"What are you gonna do? Singe her eyebrows off?" Damon asked sarcastically.

Emma quoted him, "Seems like just as good a plan as any."

She dropped Damon's hand and walked off on her own. This time Damon didn't stop her.

Damon stopped at the open door to his brother's room and peered in, Stefan was sitting as his desk, writing in a journal and tapping his ring against the wood of the desk.