Part 28

Emma stepped down the stairs into the basement of the Salvatore boarding house and made her way over to Alaric's temporary cell.

"Hey," she said quietly as she looked at the man she once thought was so strong, reduced to nothing more than a cot and a small cell.

"Still me," he laughed slightly.

Emma reached down and unlocked Alaric's cellar so she could step inside.

"You know, you really shouldn't be in here, it defeats the purpose of the lock down in the first place," Alaric reminded her.

Emma shrugged, "Well you still have to have the basics and a few books to read."

Alaric bent down and picked up one of the books, "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?"

"Ugh," Emma ran her hands through her hair, "Damon thinks he is so funny."

She could hear the vampire snickering upstairs as they discovered his gift, Emma rolled her eyes.

"At least one of us still has a sense of humor."

"You don't have to stay in here, Bonnie can do a spell, maybe just confine you to the house instead of a glorified closet," Emma laughed slightly, trying to lighten the mood.

"Em, last time I was free I almost killed you,"

"Well, you did kill me, but," Emma held up her ring, "I'm fine, that's the beauty of this new superpower thing."

"What's Klaus going to do if you can't find the other stake?" Alaric asked.

Emma shrugged, "Wage war, murder people, typical Klaus crap."

Stefan popped his head into the cellar door, "Hey Emma, Damon and Elena are taking off."

"Okay, I'll be right there," Emma smiled.

"Damon and Elena are traveling together? Without you?" Alaric seemed confused.

"Stefan's fine with it and you need me here," Emma explained the reasoning she had been given.

Emma gave Alaric a half hug and headed back upstairs after closing and locking the cellar door again. As Emma entered the foyer Damon was bringing down a couple of bags from upstairs, as soon as their eyes met they both couldn't help but smile. Stefan was already sitting on the couch waiting for Elena.

"Have you heard from Klaus?" Damon prodded his brother.

"Not yet, but I'm sure I will," Stefan spun one of the white oak stakes in his hand, "he is expecting me to deliver two stakes, not one."

Damon set his bags next to the hallway that led outside, "Well, that's going to be disappointing for him."

"I'll get it out of him," Stefan crossed him arms, "I just need some time."

"I like that confidence brother, I don't share it, but I like it," Damon put his arm around Emma's shoulders, "maybe I should take both girls, in case things go sideways."

"You don't think I can do it?" Stefan challenged.

"Well, your good again, you're in control. You get the girl but," Damon paused as Elena entered the room, "speaking of. You ever flown first class Elena?"

Elena popped her hip to the side, "Who did you have to compel for that?"

Damon scoffed at her, "Please, I use miles."

Emma laughed quietly at Damon's side, he pulled her into a tight hug and picked her up off of her feet to kiss her. Beside them, the picture couldn't be more opposite. Stefan and Elena shared an awkward glance.