Part 11

Emma woke up the next morning with a knot in her stomach, she wasn't ready for what the first part of her day entailed. Without waking up Damon she got out of bed and started the shower and got in just as it started to steam, the hot water made all of her muscles start to relax, she hadn't realized just how tense she was. She heard Damon come into the bathroom and he slid into the shower with her, giving her a quick kiss before stealing the shower head from her. They continued to get ready in silence. Emma pulled on black jeans and a v-neck t-shirt before she finished off her look with her signature leather jacket.

Damon noticed her casual look, "We can stop and get you something else to wear, or there might be something around here."

"Katie would honestly expect nothing less from the punk ass little sister," Emma smiled briefly at the look that Katie had given her when even at their parents funeral Emma wore her leather jacket over the dress she had reluctantly worn, "trust me, it's fine."

Damon shrugged and dressed casual as well, it was just as well, they would be cave diving later anyway.

The ride to the cemetery was as silent as the rest of the morning had been, Damon would ask a question and Emma would either dismiss it or give him as little of an answer as she could. Eventually he stopped asking her anything. Caroline, Matt, Elena, and Bonnie were standing together at the entrance to the graveyard, Alaric was off on his own, trying to hide the fact that he had already started drinking. Caroline had put everything together much better than Emma ever could have, the commemorative wreath that she had commissioned from the florist was covered in bright pink Peonies. Emma wasn't even sure how she got them since they were out of season, she guessed compulsion of some kind was at play.

Emma stayed stoic throughout the memorial, she listened intently to what the pastor was saying as they lowered Katie's casket into the plot. Emma looked up at Alaric, both of them gave the other the same look, they were the only family each of them had left. Caroline had given everyone a white rose and each person took a moment to either pray or think before dropping it on top of the lowered casket.

Alaric and Emma stepped up together, Alaric dropped his rose and immediately. He had stopped caring if anyone saw him drink as he left Emma at the foot of the plot staring down at her sister's grave, Emma felt almost betrayed that he had left her there by herself. Emma's body froze in place and she felt like all of the air had been knocked out of her.

"Ric," Damon growled at Alaric as he walked past him, "Ric, don't leave her up there alone."

Alaric ignored him and continued walking to his car. Damon looked back over to Emma who still hadn't moved, all of their friends were at a loss as to how to help her, Elena was the only one who had even made a single step towards her. They all looked to Damon for help, with a sad sigh he stepped up beside Emma and took her hand. His touch had shocked Emma out of her trance and her hand reflexively opened making her drop the rose, it seemed to move in slow motion as it fell on top of bed of other roses. This was the first emotion Damon had seen from Emma all day, he pulled gently on her hand to pull her away from the grave and she followed his lead.

Caroline frantically shook her head 'no' as the pastor pulled out a tray of dirt for Emma to ceremoniously toss into the grave, but she realized that she had taken it too far and misjudged Emma's emotional density. Damon's shoulders relaxed and he mouthed her a 'thank you' to which she quietly nodded. The pastor was quick to wrap up the funeral after that and dismissed everyone. Emma was hesitant to leave but ultimately with a bit of prodding from Damon she left with him. Everyone said their good-byes and hugged Emma repeatedly. Back in Damon's Camaro she felt like she could breath again once he had the vehicle turned away from the cemetery.