Part 3

"Hey, I'm Caroline," the bright bubbly blonde almost ran up to Emma the next day at Mystic Falls High, "I'm looking for volunteers for the Homecoming comity."

Emma put down her sandwich that she had brought for lunch on the wooden picnic table and looked up at Caroline, "Yea you definitely didn't change much."

Caroline gave Emma a confused look.

"Emma Peters, we went to elementary together."

"Oh my God! I knew you seemed familiar! Elena come here!"

Emma rolled her eyes knowing well that she was lying and was now calling in reinforcements to help her remember.

"Look, it's Emma from elementary," Caroline grinned.

Elena looked Emma up and down, "Oh wow, hey, how is your family?"

Emma hated this question and dreaded it every time she got it when someone recognized her, "It's just me and Katie now."

"I see, I'm sorry Emma," Elena seemed very genuine, "I know how that is if you ever need anyone to talk to."

Both girls sat silently for a moment.

"Hello ladies," Stefan came and plopped down next to Emma and grabbed her bag of M&Ms, opened them and popped a few in his mouth.

"What the hell?" Emma was shocked at the bold behavior from someone she hardly knew.

"Stefan," Elena said in a warning tone, "now is not the time to act like an ass."

Before Stefan could say anything there was a rev of the engine of an older car, everyone looked up to see Damon standing next to his light blue 1969 Chevy Camaro.

Emma couldn't help but smile at him as he leaned against it in his leather jacket with a black shirt underneath and dark denim jeans. She could appreciate a guy with a badass car and looks to match. Damon pointed right at her so there was no mistaking who he was trying to get attention from in the group, then motioned with his finger for her to come to him. Without a second thought Emma grabbed her bag, leaving her half eaten lunch on the table and almost ran over to Damon.

"Hi," she said with a smile when she reached him.

"Hi yourself, feel like ditching the last half?" He smirked.

"And why would I just go hang out with some guy I've only met like, twice?" Emma crossed her arms but couldn't hide her smile.

"Because my dick of a brother just stole your lunch and you should let me make it up to you," Damon shrugged.

"Hold up," Emma's arms fell to her sides, "Stefan is your brother?"

"Unfortunately," Damon glared at Stefan over Emma's head, "come on, I'll replace your lunch."

Emma walked over to the passenger side of the car and got in, Damon noticed her admiring the interior of the car and running her hand over the smooth leather.

"You like old cars?" He asked.

Emma nodded, "I'd love to get my hands on a '67 Impala. Even if it was trashed I would get that baby up and running even if I had to dead lift the engine into place by myself."

"Please call me so I can see you attempt that," Damon laughed slightly.

Emma rolled her eyes, "Okay so do you know anywhere that isn't the Mystic Grill around here with a good cheese burger? I am not going to get busted for skipping."

"Isn't Alaric going to just rat you out?"

"Nah, I'm his favorite person in the world."

"I noticed, what's up with that?"