Part 33

Stefan opened the door to the Gilbert house after Damon knocked, both Bonnie and Emma at his side.

"We have a problem," Damon glared at Bonnie, "a couple of problems, actually."

Stefan moved aside so everyone could enter but motioned for them to be quiet. Everyone walked into the kitchen. Damon walked over to the sink and wet a kitchen towel while Emma hopped up and sat on one of the counters, he walked back over to her and started using the towel to wipe away the dried blood on her neck. She gave him an appreciative smile as he worked.

"What's going on?" Stefan finally asked.

"Alaric turned," Damon said without looking away from Emma.

"What do you mean he turned?" Stefan said shocked, "I thought you were standing guard."

"Don't blame me," Damon defended himself as he glared at Bonnie, "little miss witchy over there juju'd me so I couldn't stop it."

"I had no idea what was happening," Bonnie returned Damon's glare, "the witches led me there, they wanted him to feed so he could turn."

"He fed on you?" Stefan looked at Bonnie with concern.

"No actually, he fed on Emma," Damon explained, "so much so, that he killed her."

"Em, you okay?" Stefan's concern turned towards Emma.

She slipped off her ring and tossed it too him, his jaw dropped as he held it up and saw the broken stone.

"So where is the stake?" Stefan asked.

"Oh, you mean the white oak one? The one that can kill an Original vampire and wipe out an entire line of vampires?" Damon's tone was thick with sarcasm, "We don't know."

Bonnie crossed her arms, "I didn't mean to do any of this Damon. If you are so upset with me, why did you bring me along?"

"Because I do stupid things Bonnie, like trying to let my friend die with dignity when I should have just killed him," Damon said angrily.

Emma put a hand on Damon's shoulder and shushed him, "Stop it."

"All right, so how do we kill him now?" Stefan looked to Bonnie.

"I've been trying to figure that out," Bonnie explained, "a witch can't make a truly immortal creature, there is always a way to undo the spell."

"If nature can't have an immortal creature, then how do you explain Emma?" Damon asked.

"Different set of rules completely," Emma explained, "my bloodline was born of Eve."

Damon turned around to look at Emma, "As in Adam and Eve?"

Emma laughed, "Eh, that's not quite it, but she was considered 'Mother of All Monsters'; according to Sam, Phoenixes were her least favorite child, she cast them out."

Damon shook his head and turned back to Bonnie, "So what's the witchy work around on this?"

Bonnie shrugged, "I don't know."

Jeremy was heading down the stairs when the door bell rang, before anyone could stop him he answered the door.

"What the hell do you want?" Jeremy stared down the ancient vampire.

"Now is that anyway to treat a guest?" Klaus pretended to be offended.

Stefan stepped up behind Jeremy and put a hand on his shoulder, he pulled the teen away from the door slightly, "What are you doing here Klaus?"

"Well," Klaus clasped his hands in front of him, "for starters, young Jeremy here could show some manners and invite me inside."

Stefan moved in front of Jeremy protectively as Damon walked up beside his brother.