Part 35

Stefan, Damon and Emma rode together in Damon's car to the hospital, where Bonnie had told them Elena would be. They stayed together as they searched each room for Elena. Suddenly they heard Klaus yelling at Tyler, they all ran towards the room they were in. With Klaus distracted, Stefan and Damon took the opportunity to do something unconventional. Damon grabbed Klaus while Stefan shoved his hand through Klaus's chest, grabbing onto his heart. Emma fell to her knees again as Bonnie began to channel her for the spell.

Klaus's body began to desiccate and as the spell finished Emma fainted from the strain of the magic being drained from her. Damon dropped Klaus's body to the ground and he pulled Emma into his arms. He brushed the hair away from her face as he waited patiently on the floor with her until she could wake up.

Stefan compelled one of the nurses to unhook Elena from the tubbing that was drawing her blood out. Klaus's plan was to drain the girl completely before letting her die to kill Alaric, that way he could still make hybrids to do his bidding. He hadn't planned on Tyler being able to break his sire bond.

Emma's eyes fluttered opened as her strength returned.

"There she is," Damon said relieved.

"Yeah," Emma's voice cracked slightly, "I guess that spell needed a lot of mojo to work."

"Let's get out of here," Stefan said as he lifted Klaus's body and started to walk out of the room.

Damon walked over to the barely conscience Elena and lifted her up as well, Emma tried to keep her emotions at bay as she watched him carry her out to his car. She still hadn't had a chance to fully process or confront what Elena had tried to do in Denver.

Emma's phone began to ring, she answered, "Hello?"

Caroline's peppy voice was on the other side, "Stefan just called and told me what happened, we need to celebrate."

"I'm down," Emma laughed.

"Meet me at Elena's?" Caroline suggested.

"If I must," Emma reluctantly agreed.

Caroline was quiet for a moment, "Everything okay? We can go somewhere else."

"It's fine Care, I'll meet you there in a bit," Emma said before she hung up the phone.

She ran to catch up with Damon.

"I'll see you later, Caroline needs my help with something," Emma stepped up on her tip toes to kiss Damon quickly, she didn't give him the chance to respond before she walked away.

It was a short walk from the hospital to the Gilbert residence, but it was enough of a walk that it let Emma clear her head a bit before being bombarded by questions from Caroline. Rather than knock when she arrived, she let herself in.

"Okay, spill," Caroline said as soon as Emma rounded the corner into the kitchen where Caroline was cleaning up the broken glass from earlier, "why are you being so hostile to Elena."

"I have no idea what you are talking about Care," Emma tried to play it off as she started to help with the clean up.

Caroline stopped what she was doing and looked at Emma directly, "I heard you earlier, at the school. Your 'joke' about two birds and one stone."

Emma looked at the ground, "Eavesdropping is rude."

Caroline stayed silent while she waited for Emma to explain.

"Elena kissed Damon while they were picking up Jeremy," Emma breathed a sigh of relief, it felt nice to be able to confide in someone.

"Umm..." Caroline's reaction told her all she needed to know.