Chapter 22: Together, There's No Fear

Here's a short story for you all. 👏

_____________________________

Young Tango liked to consider himself brave. Dare he say it, the bravest among his friends. One time he was the first to pet the sheep while his friends cowered at their 'intimidating' presence due to the height difference between them and the humongous sheep. Another time he went to the bathroom in the middle of the night, without his uncle Zedaph watching him  every single time. That's brave, right!?.. [ Well, Zedaph was usually busy in the lab so what other options did Tango have for a bathroom buddy? ] 

Despite all of that, it did not prepare the young blonde for the thunderous night he's about to experience. Dark Grey clouds covered the starry sky, the rain obscured the view of the main island, and the thunder banged like a beating drum.  Man.. Right at that very moment, he regretted putting his bed by the big glass window. 

Okay,  Tango had to admit that the storm was a bit scary. As much as he liked being called 'brave', even he was brave enough to admit that he's not 'brave' right now. Despite his new 2nd fear, it did not fully intimidate him to watch the stormy mess that is outside. He silently watched the lighting, dancing in the cloudy sky. He liked to think that they were dancing the 'tango'. 

After about 15 minutes of watching the storm, the young blonde finally decided that he should seek company.  He grabbed his pillow and walked off to the room next to his. It was there he spotted the small figure, that is Impulse, under the yellow blanket. 

"Pssst- Impy." he whispered, shaking his shoulder. " Move your butt. I want to sleep here with you."

... 

... 

... 

With no response, Tango's patience immediately wore off. He pushed the poor kid further to the side of the bed, dropped his pillow next to his, and launched himself to the mattress. " Psst- Impulse." he whispered again. " I'm sleeping with you. Is that okay?"

...

...

Again, his lack of response was driving Tango nuts. He jumps off the mattress and tiptoes to the other side of the bed. "Impulse. Wake u-"

Tango stopped. His brow furrowed as he observed his friend with great concern. Young Impulse was awake. Very much awake. His squinted eyes would've convinced him that he was asleep, if not for the lingering tears that gave it away. 

Without hesitation, young Tango pushed him again to the other side of the bed, hopped in next to him, and wrapped his tiny arms around him. Bringing poor Impulse back to reality, he let out a sob as he clinged to the young blonde. Tango himself was on the verge of crying himself. Either from the fear of the storm or his aching heart for the young brunette. 

*BOOOM*

The two kids flinched as they curled closer together. The thunder roared and the two stayed closer than ever, cowering under the blanket. They said nothing during that night.. 

_____________________________

".. Tango?" 

"Hmm." Young Tango hummed back. The two laid by their shared yellow bed, tensed and restless. The storm finally died down throughout the night and the sunrise lightened up the whole lab. It was then the two finally decided that they were brave enough to watch the sprinkles of rain shine through the sun beam. 

" What are you very afraid of?" 

" Afraid?" 

"Yeah.." Young Impulse paused for a sec. "I don't like the dark and storms. They keep making me think about those scary ravegy-thing monsters underground." 

Tango, the one who he calls himself 'brave', smiled sheepishly. "I'm only a little scared of storms. A little!" 

Impulse looked unconvinced. "You were crying!" 

"Only because you won't feel alone!" 

The two bickered till they finally used up the remaining strength they had and quietly rested back on the bed.. 

"... I'm afraid of redstone." 

" Redstone?" Impulse repeated. " You mean that red power thing that makes everything turned on? What's so scary about redstone?! "

Tango slowly nodded, grimacing at the thought. "  They look like blood, and they smell weird. It is.. Bleh." 

Impulse giggled at the disgusted expression on the young blonde's face. "That's funny." 

Tango glared back at him. "Hey! I never say that crying about storms is funny!" 

" I know." Impulse's smile faltered. Staring apologetically at the floor. " Sorry.. Thank you for staying with me." 

Young Tango's glare softened to something more sad. He rolled towards the young brunette and dragged him to another hug. "Yes. I'm the big brother. Because I am the big and brave one." 

"... I thought Joe was the big brother?"

"Hush!"

Young Impulse looked like he was about to contradict his statement before deciding to become more considerate of the young blonde. After all, he did comfort the young brunette throughout the whole night. He happily accepts the hug. "Thank you again." 

Tango grins proudly. 

_____________________________

"Tango? Do we tell uncle Zed that we cried like babies? "

"... Nah!"

"Ohh.. Okay." 

_____________________________

Zedaph: (Tango, Impulse) 

Wels: (Cub, False) 

Keralis: (, TFC, Xisuma) 

Cleo: (Joe) 

Beef: (XB, Etho) 

Grian: (Ren, Scar) 

Hypno: (Jevin) 

Stress: (Iskall, Mumbo) 

Doc: (Bdubs) 

Pearl: (Gemini) 

Evil Xisuma: (Hels)