Chapter 15

Y/N's POV

I woke up in agony. I could feel pain throughout my body. Every inch of bone, every fiber of muscle, even every cell seemed to shooting excruciating throughout my nervous system.

I fluttered my eyes open only to shut them milliseconds later because of what felt like a million suns shining directly in my eyes.

I heard what sounded like someone talking, but I couldn't focus on their voice over my own internal voice screeching and begging for relief.

Then, I felt a light squeeze on my hand. I tried to open my eyes once again to look whoever it was in the eyes, and to my surprise, I could open my eyes without immediately shutting them.

"Thomas," I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding in.
"Looks like a bit more than a bump to the head, huh?" He chuckled.
"Yea, you could say that," I rolled my eyes back at him.

I couldn't hear super well, but being able to hear even a sliver of a friend's voice felt like the world in such a moment of despair. Everything around me sounded so muffled because of the ringing in my ears. Looks like I'd have to get really good at lipreading to get around for the time being. That is, if i could even get up to get around.

I looked back into his eyes, but it felt different. I could see the tears forming in his eyes, and along with it the apology synthesizing in his mind and resting on his tongue. I grabbed both his eyes and looked him dead in the eyes.

"I know what you're going to say. And I need you to know this is not your fault. Not even a little. Okay?" I choked out, my voice wavering with tears starting to fall.

"I really thought we... I was going to lose you," he confessed with tears finally escaping his eyes.

"I'm not that easy to get rid of. It's gonna take more than a stupid griever to take me out for good," I chuckled with my tears starting to fade, but still lingering on my cheeks.

"Christ, I didn't know there WAS much more than a griever," he laughed back.

I was snapped out of our conversation by sharp pains shooting up my torso. I tried my best to stay strong for Thomas, but an involuntary wince gave away my pain.

"Shit, let me go get the medjacks. I'm sure they can give you something to ease the pain," Thomas said with panic lacing his tone.

He walked to the door, but turned around one last time to tell me to get some sleep.

No arguments there.

I shut my eyes and started fading into my dreams, but right before I fully gave in I saw a certain dirty blonde boy enter my thoughts.

Newt's POV

"Hey, we heard from Thomas that Y/N woke up. She's gonna be okay; you should go visit," Minho said to me as I picked at my lunch.

"She doesn't wanna see me," I retorted.

"Says who?" Minho replied.

"Says anyone with two braincells. I've been an absolute asshole, I can't just act like nothing's changed." I shot back.

"Whatever man, at least let her know you care. She probably thinks you couldn't care less that she almost died," Minho said.

I clenched my fists until they were white. How DARE he insinuate that I didn't care. There was no one who cared more. No one who cared about her like I did, and absolutely no one that I cared about more than her.

"Bloody hell," I muttered under my breath.

I got up without saying a word and made my way over to the medhut.

I greeted the medjacks, awkwardly apologizing to the guy I almost beat up for no reason earlier other than my horrible temper.

I peaked her door open, and I was surprisingly relieved to see she was asleep. Honestly, I didn't know if I had the strength to face her right now.

She looked so peaceful.

But the more I looked, the worse it got. The bruises that lined her skin, the cuts that encompassed her body, and the color that had left her once bright and captivating composure.

Somehow, she was still the most beautiful woman he had ever laid his eyes on.

He could've lived a million lives and still be certain Y/N was the most beautiful and kind soul to ever grace the earth.

I felt my eyes begin to well, but I didn't have the energy to stifle them.

One more look at her, and I felt the floodgates open.

"Fuck, I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry Y/N. It's all my fault. It's all my fault. It's all my fault," I started to mutter as I rambled.

I couldn't handle looking at the consequences of my actions anymore. I got up to leave, but before I did, I planted a kiss on Y/N's forehead and whispered, "I love you."

Y/N's POV

Once I heard the door shut, my eyes shot open. I can't believe what I had just heard. I can't believe he thought it was his fault, but more than anything ... he loved me?

That's impossible. There's no way.

I didn't know how to feel or how to even react. I felt my heart race faster than it ever had before. My breathing began to pick up.

I closed my eyes and took deep breaths before ai finally felt the shock wear off. I don't think the weird feeling of panic in my stomach would ever leave.

I can't believe Thomas was in love with me.

/////
Oh? A little misinterpretation??
Anyways, I'm back #notdead. How we feeling? Lil mental health check in for y'all—don't be scared to reach out if you need to talk or just vent. Sometimes its nice to just get it all out <3

dont forget to vote!