Chapter 8

Y/N's POV

I was so concentrated on my plan for the day I didn't even realize someone had jogged up to my side.

"Hey Y/N," said a cheerful Newt.

I, of course, screamed and jumped a foot backwards. It was only for a split second, but the feeling of someone sneaking up on me triggered a wave of flashbacks from the other night. I quickly snapped out of it and played it off.

"Oh my god you almost gave me a heart attack," I laughed while hitting his arm.

I saw a smirk grow on his face. He just kept looking at me with his deep chocolate eyes

"What? What is it?" I asked starting to get slightly annoyed he wasn't saying anything.

"Nothing, you just look really lovely today," he said with a smile and his hands in his front pockets.

He looked down and rocked back and forth on his feet.

He looked kind of... nervous. 

I couldn't hold in my burning question anymore.

"Why are you talking to me again. Is it another cruel joke? Or did Minho make you again? Because I seriously can't handle you walking into my life just for you to rip the carpet out from under me again. I can't do it Newt. I just... I just can't..." 

I didn't even realize I was crying until Newt came up to me and wiped the tears from my face.

He took my head in his hands and said "Hey, I'm not going anywhere."

When he looked in my eyes, I could've sworn he cared. His eyes looked so honest, but I couldn't trust them. I looked away. I couldn't bring myself to believe him.

He brought me into his chest, my head nuzzled in the crook of his neck.

For the first time in a long time, I felt safe.

He started to rub my back, but I winced. Shit, I still had bruises and cuts from the asshole who attacked me.

"What is it?" He asked, pulling out of the hug.

"Nothing, just drop it," I said sternly.

"That wasn't nothing," He quickly responded, his voice riddled with worry.

"I'm fine," I shot back at him.

 "Look, I'll see you later," I said with my back turned as I started to walk away.

I quickly made my way to my hut. When I got there, I put on my running clothes and tied my hair back. 

I started walking to the map room, and all I could think about was Newt. Why was he screwing with me? What did he want with me?

I opened the door to the hut only to see Newt again. He was learning over the map with Minho, as if it were par for the course.

"Umm what's he doing here?" I asked disapprovingly, pointing my finger at him,

"Well, I figured I could join you on your run today," He replied while fidgeting his hands.

"No. Absolutely not," I snapped.

"C'mon, for old times sake!" He said defensively.

"I can't deal with this right now," I shot back, throwing my arms up and walking out.

I dashed into the maze before someone could stop me.

I still couldn't wrap my head around why he wanted to talk to me. I couldn't trust him. I couldn't bring down the walls I had spent the past year building up.

I just couldn't.

////////////////////////////////

I hope this doesn't suck so far. Updates might be a lil slow for the next two weeks b/c school is driving me crazy, but i'll do my best :)