Prologue

~One year ago~

It had been 3 days since you had gone running with Newt, let alone talk to him. That was highly unusual for you two, as since you arrived in the maze you two were inseparable. You were both runners and went out everyday together to map the maze. Running by yourself had gotten lonely and you missed Newt.

You decided to head back from the maze early to wait for Newt at the entrance. When you got back you sat down and leaned on a nearby tree as you waited for him.

As time passed, you got increasingly nervous. You kept thinking, "What if he didn't make it back in time?". As if he had heard your mental pleas, Newt came running through the maze walls. You shot up and sprinted over to him, and squeezed him as tightly as you could.

You felt him stiffen at the touch, which was weird because he normally melted into your hugs. You soon let go of him. What was wrong with him?

"Hey Newt, how was the maze today?"

"Fine."He spoke with no emotion and refused to meet your eyes. You were shocked by his actions. He was the goofiest and warmest person you knew. Why was he acting like this?

"Is everything ok? Are you hurt?", you asked with worry riddling your voice. You really wanted to help your best friend, but you didn't know what to do.

"I'm fine y/n. Just take the hint and go away. Have you ever considered the fact that you were the problem? Stop being so shucking clingy. Leave me alone." His words were cold and unforgiving. Those words shattered your heart and left a void no one would be able to fill.

Those words echoed an your head as he walked away, leaving you speechless. You walked back to your hut with tears threatening to spill.

"Hey y/n! How was your day?", Chuck asked with a smile on his face. But you just kept walking.

As soon as you reached your hut, you slammed the door and started to sob. What had you done to Newt? Why would he say that to you? He was you first friend and your best friend, the one person who you thought could never, would never hurt you.

You still remembered the first day you arrived in the glade.

"What do ya see Newt?", someone shouted.

Newt could not believe his eyes.

"It's a girl", he announced with wonder and surprise in his voice.

You opened your eyes, as you looked up at the sky. A young boy with a charming grin and sandy blonde hair looked down at you.

"Need some help Greenie?", his British accent rang through your ears.

Even though you knew you shouldn't trust someone you had just met, let alone like this, something about his brown eyes made you say yes. Somehow, you knew you could trust him.

He reached for your hand, and pulled you up from the metal box you were in. You stared into each others eyes, maybe for a little too long, and started to introduce yourself.

"Hi I'm-". And then the panic set in.

"Where am I? What's going on? Why can't I remember my name?", you demanded looking at the crowd around you.

The second wave of worry hit as the realization hit you like a truck. You were the only girl.

The whole world started to go dizzy and you felt legs give in. A pair of arms caught you before you could reach the ground.

"Take it easy there Greenie", the familiar British accent entering your mind again.

You looked up to see his daring dark brown eyes meet yours.

You snapped out of your thoughts, as Minho walked in. He rushed over to your side and gave you a hug. You felt some relief enter your body because Minho was basically your brother.

"Hey, it's ok I'm here. What's wrong?" Minho questioned.

"Newt", you couldn't speak coherently and that was all you could manage to get out of your mouth.

"Do you want me to go get him?", Minho asked with care.

Everyone in the Glade knew you two were as close as could be, and naturally anyone would assume the other would be there immediately to comfort the other one.

You slowly began to calm down and explained to Minho what had happened. You could feel the rage in Minho build up as you relayed Newt's words to him.

"I'm going to shucking kill him", he announced as he clenched his fists.

He got up and turned towards your door. Before he could leave, you managed to grab his hand.

"Please don't leave," you pleaded.

Minho just nodded and climbed into bed with you. You felt a little better after talking to Minho, and felt yourself drift off to sleep.

////////////////////////////////////////////

Leave a comment if you're enjoying! Excited to write this story!