EIGHT

Something is off with you, Harry can feel it. Your text yesterday about having fun was so out of the blue and he couldn't really put the pieces together. He didn't tell you about the farewell dinner so you couldn't possibly know he was going anywhere. If he is being honest, he was contemplating canceling just to be with you for a few hours, if it's even just sitting in his car in a parking lot, but then Nina asked if she could ride with him so he had to go.

He tried to text you a few more times throughout the evening, but you ignored them all and then sent him a vague reply saying you had a lot to study. He had no reason to question if you were telling the truth or not, but it just didn't feel right, but he couldn't put a finger on it.

You haven't texted him all day and it's odd not to hear anything from you for so long. He is starting to worry that he did something to hurt you or what's worse, you changed your mind about him.

"Alright, the final assignment is due tomorrow, please make sure to upload it in time, I don't want to read excuse emails all weekend," he sighs as he finishes his second to last class of the day. Students start packing and chatter fills the room as he sits back to his chair to gather his notes as well. As everyone flows out of the room they say their goodbye to the professor and he smiles back at the warmly.

Grabbing his phone he checks the screen but sees no new message from you so he decides to text you again.

HARRY: Having a busy day? Anyway, I'm thinking about you. As always.

As soon as he hits send, he cringes a bit. Was it too much? Is it why you're so distant? Because he is being too intimate and not at all casual?

He stares at the message thread for a while, waiting for the three little dots to pop up as you type, but you don't even open the message. Groaning, he locks the phone and gathering his stuff he heads back to his office. Nearing the building, he notices your figure lingering at the entrance, you seem like you're debating whether you should go in or not. As far as he knows, you don't have any classes in that building, so the only reason why you'd be here is to see him. However, it doesn't make much sense after avoiding his texts all day.

As a sudden idea, he fishes his phone out of his pocket and dials your number, hiding behind a tree from where he can see you but you won't spot him. He watches you get your phone from your coat's pocket, staring down at the screen for way longer than Harry would like you to contemplate answering the call and just when he is sure you'll decline the call you finally accept it.

"Hey," he hears your voice only through the line, you're standing too far from him to actually hear your voice.

"Hey, what's up? Haven't heard from you all day," he clears his throat, trying to sound as casual as possible. His eyes are glued to you as you move to the edge of the pavement so you're not in the way of anyone passing by.

"Yeah, sorry, I've been pretty busy with studying and everything..." you trail off, kicking the dirt around, crossing your free arm across your body as you keep the phone at your ear with the other. Even from afar, you seem stressed and maybe even uncomfortable to be talking to him, but he has no idea what happened that changed the dynamic between the two of you.

"Are you sure it's just that? Don't mean to be nosy, but you sound a little off. You know you can talk to me, right?"

You stay still, staring down at your feet before he sees you shaking your head and running a hand through your hair. Now he knows something is up and he is determined to figure out what it is.

"Do I know?" you ask back and it's like a punch in his stomach. "I mean, I didn't know we were doing that."

"Doing what?"