SIXTEEN

Harry has turned into a teenager again, jumping with excitement every time he gets a new text, huffing and puffing whenever it's anyone else than you.

Keeping your word, just two days after meeting him you texted him with a few apartments that you thought would be fitting for him. Honestly, Harry would have let you suggest him to check out a dumpster behind a Chinese restaurant if it meant he got to talk to you just a tad bit longer in texts.

It was a surprise for Harry when you offered to join him when he checks out some of the apartments, but he would have never rejected. He would be stupid to give up on time to spend with you, that's all he wants.

Now it's been three weeks since the two of you had the chat that was supposed to happen three years ago. Better late than never, right? Harry just finished work for the day and he is rushing back home to get ready to check out another apartment with you in an hour. Barging through the front door he finds Niall in the kitchen, on the phone, with a stack of paper laid out in front of him as he hums and nods along to whatever the other person is saying on the other end. Harry waves his way and just disappears in his room to freshen up and change. Seeing you regularly has definitely gotten him out of a bit of a ditch he let himself falling into, he keeps his beard in check, only lets it grow out to be a stubble, he definitely spends more time figuring out what to wear and he's been even experimenting to take care of his hair other than washing it every few days. You've become such a breath-taking woman in the past years, always dressed nicely and taking good care of yourself, he can't look like a hobo next to you.

It wouldn't matter though, it's not like he is dating you, the tiny, evil voice reminds him from time to time, but he makes sure to forget about that tiny detail.

He is standing in front of the mirror, buttoning up his shirt when Niall appears at his door, curiously eyeing his friend.

"I assume you're not going on a date with an actual woman who you can actually date," he comments pursing his lips and Harry's gaze meets his in the mirror.

"We're checking out another place. Don't you want me to get out of here so you can have your home back?"

"First of all, I thought we were having fun rooming together!" he gasps dramatically. "Second, I'm happy you're friends with her and don't mope around anymore, but it looks like you want more than just friendship while she has a whole ass boyfriend."

"Thank you for pointing out the obvious," Harry rolls his eyes. "But I'm fine with just being friends."

"And what, are you gonna just... be the flower boy at her wedding? The uncle to her future kids? That's weird."

"Yeah, and it's not gonna happen," Harry frowns, grabbing his phone from the charger. "But what do you want me to do? It's all I have."

"I thought you'd fight for her," he shrugs, leaning against the doorframe.

"I will not get her into trouble. She is in a relationship, I'm here if she... wants to do... anything with me, but I won't push her to do anything."

"Yeah, but some flirting wouldn't hurt."

"What happened to becoming a better person?" Harry huffs, swinging his bag to his shoulder.

"It's a long process," Niall sighs. "But just so you know, I won't judge you if you try to shoot your shot. Again."

Harry stops and looks at his friend, thoughts racing in his head that have been bothering for a while now but he wasn't sure if he should share it with anyone.

"I just... don't know if she wants me that way anymore. I might be bolder if she just gave me a crumble, the tiniest hint that she still has some of the feelings she had for me."