1

Christmas Eve 2020

I have just driven 4 hours from Woking to Stockport to spend Christmas with the family. Me and my twin brother Phil are extremely close. The family has been busy with Phil's football because matches can fall on the same day as a race which tends to be on a Sunday.

As you see, I have been living down in Woking with my best friend Lando since 2019 when he became an F1 driver for McLaren. I was a part of McLaren's junior programme and for the past couple of seasons, I've been a test and reserve driver for the team, so I travel with the team just in case one of the drivers fall ill. I've been doing this along with me racing in Formula Two. But my last race of the season fell on the day of one of Phil's matches but my family don't know that I was crowned F2 champion against my competitor Mick Schumacher. I beat him by two points.

Just pulling up on the driveway of the family home, I could see my nephew Ronnie in the window getting all excited. I get out of the car, grab my bags and the presents and head inside.

"I'm home" I shouted as I walked through the front door.

"Auntie Jammie" little Ronnie screamed

I dropped the bags and picked up Ronnie to give him a big cuddle.

"Hiya Ronnie, you missed me," I asked. The little boy in my arms nodded and snuggled his head on my shoulder, slowly falling asleep. Then Phil walks out of the kitchen with Becca.

"Alright Jas, it's good to have you home" Phil said pulling me into a side hug.

"It's good to be home. It's been so long since I've been back up to Stockport. Well I did come up during the summer break for a few weeks which was nice, but with training, I needed to be down south" I said to my brother.

"I've missed you girl," Becca told me pulling me in for a girly hug.

"I've missed you too. I'm used to being surrounded by men now, especially in the job I do but I love my job by racing at top speed. Phil where's dad?" I said

"He's in the kitchen" He replied. I handed Ronnie over to Phil and walked into the kitchen to go and see my dad.

"Hiya dad," I said. He turned around and saw me and there were tears in his eyes.

"There's my little racer. I've missed you so much" He said giving me a tight squeezed hug.

"I've missed you too dad," I said as I tried to wriggle out of the tight hug.

Phil and Becca walked into the kitchen with Ronnie in my brother's arms but just as Phil was about to speak, my phone started buzzing in my pocket.

"Excuse me, I've got to answer this," I said walking out the kitchen and heading into the living room.

Jas: Hello

Zak: Hiya Jas, it's Zak from McLaren

Jas Hiya Zak, how are you?

Zak: I'm good, the reason I'm calling you is to let you know that our original driver for the 2021 line has decided he wanted to step back from driving for a while so has been put in for the test and reserve driver for this season.

Jas: Wasn't Daniel Ricciardo meant to be driving for the team this season?

Zak: He was but what this call is about, is that I am asking you to drive for the team next season

I was looking in the mirror at the time and I could see my eyes go wide.

Jas: Oh My God, yes of course I would love to drive for the team this season. Thank you so much for the opportunity.

Zak: I'll get the contracts drawn up after Christmas and when do you get back from Stockport?

Jas: I get back to Woking on the 2nd January

Zak: Come by MTC on the 6th January to sign the contract and we will go from there.

Jas: Thank you so much. Am I able to tell Lando or not until the contract is signed but can I tell my family?

Zak: You can not tell Lando until the contract is signed but you can tell your family

Jas: That's fine. Thank you and have a good Christmas

Zak: You too Jasmine

The line went dead, I put my phone in the back pocket of my jeans and grabbed the bag that has my F2 Champions trophy in and headed back into the kitchen.

"What's in the bag?" my dad asks.

"Well, I have a couple of announcements to make!" I said. I walked over to the bag that I placed on the table and took out my champions trophy.

"The first announcement is that I'm Formula 2 champion," I said in a cheery tone. This received a load of congratulations and a massive hug from Ronnie.

"What's the second announcement?" asked Phil

"The phone call I just got was from Zak at McLaren, telling me the driver they had for the original line up for the 2021 season, has decided to step back and become test and reserve driver for this season" I stated

"But aren't you the test and reserve driver for the team," Becca asked

"I was until Zak told me I'm going to be a driver for the team this season meaning I'm moving up to Formula One. I'm going to be racing with the big boy this year" I said with excitement.

The entire family squealed with excitement and couldn't be more pleased with my achievement and told me that they are hoping to come to more races this season if they can. I told them to try and come once the Premier League had finished for the season, which they all agreed on because a footballs summer break is May to August and my summer break is a majority of August.

Now it's time to enjoy Christmas before the training season begins