49

With the summer break now over and it was time to head back to the track and we are now of to Spa for the Belgian Grand Prix. This track holds some happy memories but also some very sad memories, as we lost Anthoine here a couple of years ago. Once my little group of friends all moved up to Formula One, Anthoine was the friend that I stuck by before races. But when the accident happened I was only a few cars behind him and my heart broke when I found out that he had passed away. So every time I come to the track I walk up with Pierre to where the accident happened and we both place some flowers there in his memory and we always race for Anthonie at Spa and any other race we take part in. 

The weather during FP1 and FP2 yesterday was alright but wasn't the best and I wasn't in the top 10 which kind of upset me but anyway we move on and we learn from what has happened to see where we can improve on and that's all we can do at this stage. 

With the rains starting to fall at the end of FP3 and still not being in the top 10, all I could really hope for was that qualifying was in better conditions but I don't think that is going to happen. Sitting in the garage next to Lando, with my head on his shoulder looking outside the front of the garage and watching the ran fall. Pulling the sleeves of my coat over my hands, I feel Lando placing a kiss on my head, 

"You alright baby," Lando asked sweetly 

"Yeah I'm alright, just nervous about qualifying" I replied 

"What are you nervous about baby?" Lando said 

"I'm never good at racing in the wet, it always makes me super nervous that something is going to happen," I told my boyfriend 

"You have nothing to worry about. All we are going to focus on is getting a McLaren front row lockout and then we can be on the podium together tomorrow. How does that sound?" Lando said to me 

"That sounds like a really good plan. It would be amazing to share a podium with you!" I answered as I took my head off of his shoulder. 

Both of us got up out of our seats to go and talk to our engineers about our plans for qualifying and also talk about strategy. As a collective, we decided on the full wet tyres for qualifying because the slick tyres wouldn't have enough grip on the track and I think Lando's engineer had the same idea as mine. Smiling at Lando through the gaps between all the monitors in the middle of the garage made me laugh be he was pulling all kinds of funny faces but then we got told off by Zak, which was good but when we had the chance we did laugh about it. 

As I was the first one out of the garage and onto the track in the awful wet weather, I had to focus on what was in front of me and not let anything distract me at all and that included the voice of my engineer Tom but he knows that I have never been keen on racing in the rain, so he just knows when to shut up and to only talk to me if he needs to pass over any important information that I need to know. 

Q1

The rainy weather was coming in thick and fast and all my eyes were focused on was the track in front of me. I was pushing the car to the best of my ability but I didn't want to over do it but my focus was to do well and I had my mindset on the top 5 and having a front row lockout with Lando. By the end of Q1, I was in P3 and Lando was in P1 and that made me extremely happy to know that my boy was at the top of the timing sheet 

Q2

With the rain not going away anytime soon, I had the same mindset as Q1 which was to aim for a font row lockout with Lando and I was praying so hard in my mind that we do get the front row lockout. I was told over the radio that Lando was at the top of the time sheet, with Russell behind him. My mind was blown! George had managed to get a Williams to P2 in Q2 and it was looking like he was going to get through to Q3. At the end of Q2, I was in P4 which is quite good in my opinion and I was extremely happy with that but I was even more happy to see that Lando was on top of the timing sheet again.